Next iPad - new dock connector?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Next iPad - new dock connector?

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Looks like the dock connector for the new iPhone is changing to a smaller 19 pin instead of the 30 pin..
I wonder if the next iPad will follow suit, and what that means for cck hobo's like me? :shock:

Then again I am sure there are solutions in the works that fix the charging problem etc (no, not the Alesis IO... Doesn't anyone remember how there was an apple update that rendered it useless for a period? Besides, it's only 2in 2 out)

Just thinking out loud- I digress :D
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

cloudkake

Re: Next iPad - new dock connector?

Post by cloudkake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 pm

more importantly (for anyone like me that changes up to the new hardware when its released) its putting me off buying the Amp Dock that Alesis are shortly releasing. I cant see how they can get round this when the new connector is implemented. Any kind of converter will surely mean the 'newer iPad' wont fit in the housing anymore..

hmmm speculation time...

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Exactly- I don't think there is any reason to think they won't change the dock on the iPad as well, but currently this system works for me-
Ipad3
Akai EIE (not pro)

And barring some apple update where they disable audio use of the cck, I will stay right here!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm

It's impossible to know what Apple will do, but I find it hard to imagine that they'll abandon so many users and interface manufacturers without having some solution in place.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:55 pm

They've done it before. The Blue Mikey 2 and a bunch of others were turned into dinosaurs when the current 30 pin input replaced the last one.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 pm

supanorton wrote:They've done it before. The Blue Mikey 2 and a bunch of others were turned into dinosaurs when the current 30 pin input replaced the last one.
This had nothing to do with the 30 pin, it was ios 5. The connection is the same, never replaced, but the power output was reduced by apple in the ios sortware.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Foster wrote:
supanorton wrote:They've done it before. The Blue Mikey 2 and a bunch of others were turned into dinosaurs when the current 30 pin input replaced the last one.
This had nothing to do with the 30 pin, it was ios 5. The connection is the same, never replaced, but the power output was reduced by apple in the ios sortware.
Exactly my point about the alesis- google alesis io and watch what happens. Something on apple's end is very picky about audio io and charging capabilities
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14