AAF import via Dropbox

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Navpack
Expert

AAF import via Dropbox

Post by Navpack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:21 pm

First off, what a fantastic app! Been looking for a very mobile way to do some editing/cleanup while on trips.

Working on AAF import of existing projects - I really don't use iTunes as a sync/transfer mechanism for the iPad... work as much as possible as a self-contained unit with DB or other cloud based server.

Attempting an import of an AAF project via Dropbox; if I zip the folder Auria doesn't see the AAF file, and if it is unzipped the project imports but I don't get any media in the project.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Phil.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: AAF import via Dropbox

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Phil,

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it. To import an aaf project into Auria using DropBox, you just need to put the aaf file, along with it's associated audio files into it's own folder in DropBox. Then, Auria should see it and import everything that's in that folder onto your ipad.

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks Rim. Still no joy - I am supplied only an OMF by the client and am converting it to AAF with either Soundtrack Pro or Nuendo. In both cases AAF file is located with media on Dropbox but when loading the session to Auria I get a blank edit page. Media is present, but no edit list.

I suspect something is amis with the conversion, and will dig into it more today.

Regards,
Phil.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am

I am suspecting the same thing. When you look inside the local folder that was imported onto your ipad, do you see the wav files in there (in other words, did the wav files get copied over from drop box)?

If so, I think there's an issue with your aaf file itself (a problem during conversion). Many programs don't follow the aaf spec properly, and we've seen this type of thing before between other daws.

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am

Yes, that is correct, I see the .wav files on the ipad but nothing in the edit window. I've exported some new AAF files using Nuendo and a different transfer method - those files re-import correctly to Nuendo. Should know in a bit whether this works in Auria.

Regards,
Phil.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 am

Success (sort of)... I can now successfully import an AAF via DropBox. Thanks for your help with that.

However, the original session was 48k, exported AAF with no sample changes, and upon import the Auria session becomes 44.1k. Any options to over-ride this?

Phil.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am

Follow-up - the editor says 44.1, but the clips are still 48k and playing back at the wrong sample rate.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Auria (and all DAWs actually) have no way of knowing which sample rate an aaf file is. This is because the AAF format does not include sample rates. So Auria looks at the first file and sets it's project sample rate to the sample rate of that file. So if you're audio files are all 48K, it should create a new 48K project and import all the audio.

If you're not seeing that, make sure all your audio files are indeed 48K audio files (if at least one of them is 44.1, that might be the problem).

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Will check on that - thanks. This came from a client edit session, so I didn't have the upmost control... 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm

OK, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 pm

All media in original session, 48k aif format. AAF edit list comes into Auria in proper locations but plays wrong sample rate (44.1). Converting all media to 48k .wav prior to making AAF creates 48k project in Auria, but edits and media plays early.

What frame rate does the editor support? Looking at SMPTE readout it goes from 19 frames to 00. This particular session came from a 23.98 edit. Will try taking a 29.97df AAF next into Auria.

Regards,
Phil.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:30 pm

The frame rate must be set manually in the setting page (all normal rates are supported).

I'm a little confused by the workflow. How are you converting all media to 48k? I assumed all the media was already at 48k. And how do you mean that the edits and media plays early?

Maybe it's best to send me your aaf and the associated audio files, so I can sort out what might be happening.

Thanks,
Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Media showed 48k, aif coming from the OMF. Took the OMF into Nuendo and converted to .wav 48k and then made AAF. Checked AAF in new Nuendo project and imported edits as expected. AAF then imported into Auria and as a for instance, first video/intro music happens at :30, but edit came into project at 27.15.

If you have somewhere I can upload both the AAF and reference video I am happy to do so.

Regards,
Phil.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Do you have dropbox? That would be the easiest way. Just upload it to your dropbox account (zipped up), then share that file with me.

I suspect that there might be an issue somewhere in the conversion between OMF and AAF. It might be a good idea to take a look at the actual audio files that you're passing to Auria along with your aaf, and open them in something that can tell you the samplerate (like sound forge, etc). I suspect that you might be telling Nuendo to convert them to 48, but maybe that;s not actually happening. It's impossible to say without looking at the files myself.

As for the offset you're seeing, Auria has an offset setting in the settings page. I'm not exactly sure why your video would be offset by a few seconds, but that setting might help to correct for it.

Rim