24 bit?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Erik dP
Expert

24 bit?

Post by Erik dP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 am

Two questions: 24 bit support, and Apogee One input switch.

There is not that much said regarding 24 bits at recording. I guess that as ipad can handle 24 bits Auria is fixed to 24 bits and converts everything, e.g. 16 bit audiocopy, to 24 bits? Or how does it work?

Is there a option of 16 or 24 bit recording?

Havn't bought it yet.

By the way: I use Apogee One. Apogee One requires Garageband (besides powered hub, and CC-kit) for switching between the four input settings, and when swiching app to e.g. Multitrack DAW (which is by the way 24 bits) it keeps the setting. The four input settings are: internal mic, external mic phantom, external mic no phantom, instrument.

Would be nice if input selection worked within Auria without needing GB for switching. Apogee One works for various apps but I have just seen input switching in GB.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: 24 bit?

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:34 am

Erik,

Auria records in 24 bit format, and can handle 16, 24 or 32 bit audio files. It also can record and play in 44.1, 48k and 96k sample rates. The only exception for bit depth is Audio Copy/Paste, which is limited to 16 bits, but that only applies if you import an audio copy/paste file from another app.

We weren't aware of this input switching capability for the Apogee One. I'll have to look into it for a future update.

Thanks,
Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 am

24 bits recording = I just bought it!

The Apogee One works fine, but I have to have Garageband in the background. As I got GB it is fairly easy to switch between them. Otherwise the switching has to be done through a Mac. Wonder if GB eats cpu in the background?
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 am

You shouldn't need to have GB running in the background. I would think that after you select the correct input, you could kill GB (double tap on the home button and close it). This way, it won't eat up extra memory. Auria needs all the memory it can get ;)

Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:17 am

Yes. Usually the switching isn't done that often.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes as a long time user of the Apogee One the input remains set even after exiting GB. I do my switch and then return to another app for recording like my new Auria App. Which by the way I love it. Yes it would be great to have the ability to switch the inputs if my Apogee One in Auria and if GB can figure it out I have no doubt you guys can too. As a note the Apogee One has sold the most units worldwide than any other audio interface for the iPad as well as the most Youtube vids on the subject including one of my own. Cheers