USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.1

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rlove

USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.1

Post by rlove » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm

In regards to Auria,

is there a speed or performance advantage to using an audio interface that is advertised as a "USB 2.0" interface (such as Presonus 1818vsl or the Focusrite Scarlett18i6) over
one which is only advertised as "USB 1.1" (such as the Lexicon Omega) and expect the same audio performance and/or speed. (Assuming of course that all of these interfaces are 24 bit capable)

Obviously on a PC or a MAC, the USB 2.0 would always be preferred over USB 1.1. Does it matter on the Ipad...in particular the Ipad 3/4?
I would have to think that there would be a difference, with a capability of 48 tracks, with effects but I do not know for sure
I realize that this question would probably be better asked to Apple directly,
but since nobody there is willing to go on the record as admitting that the CCK is usable for more than a camera, I was hoping that someone here might have some insight.

Thanks in advance...keep up the great work.

rlove

Re: USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.1

Post by rlove » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

A reason why I am asking, is that I have a Lexicon Omega that works FLAWLESSLY with the Ipad. I haven't tried anything more than 8 tracks with a few effects. I'm wondering if the Omega could handle higher track/effect counts.

Chris M
Expert

Re: USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.1

Post by Chris M » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Hello,

No, there really is no advantage--in fact almost all USB 1 devices will work with Auria. The only advantage of USB 2.0 is that more inputs are allowed (you wont find a USB 1 device with more than 4 or so inputs). Performance wise, you shouldn't see a difference.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs