The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DrApostropheX
Expert

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by DrApostropheX » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm

garyshell wrote:RE: the charging while using the iPad issue, would this work???

http://www.amazon.com/White-Port-Charge ... B0060GW34Y

Gary
The way I understand it, that's not a substitute for a CCK: it's basically a charge/sync cable with a three-port hub built in for your PC/MAC. So it'll charge your iPad from your PC, but the 3 USB ports are connected to your PC (so you won't tie up a USB port on your PC/MAC to charge your iPad), not connected to your iPad.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm

DrApostropheX wrote:
garyshell wrote:RE: the charging while using the iPad issue, would this work???

http://www.amazon.com/White-Port-Charge ... B0060GW34Y

Gary
The way I understand it, that's not a substitute for a CCK: it's basically a charge/sync cable with a three-port hub built in for your PC/MAC. So it'll charge your iPad from your PC, but the 3 USB ports are connected to your PC (so you won't tie up a USB port on your PC/MAC to charge your iPad), not connected to your iPad.
Rats! So I guess there is no solution to this dilemma? That really stinks.

Gary

psandifer

Post by psandifer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Can someone tell me if the Alesis Multimix 8 USB Interface will work well with Auria?

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Does anyone know what the issue is regarding the Phonic Firefly regarding the use of it's ADAT interface link? The Presonus seems to support the use of an ADAT link allowing for expansion beyond the 8 inputs, but the Phonic doesn't? I was really leaning toward the Phonic because of the individual phantom power switches but more so because of the meters on each channel.

Gary

limey222

Post by limey222 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Apogee One working with powered USB hub driven by Teknmotion Powermotion 12000 ion rechargeble 5 volt USB battery pack for truly portable solution. Beware not all USB hubs work wth this setup. Ironically the Radio Shack Gigaware 4 port works great. The manufacturer says that this portable battery pack will power an iPad playing music for 52 hours or play movies for 13 hours. It takes 5 hours to fully charge it.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 am

Here's another one for the "working" list: the ART Dual Tube Pre works great! It connects directly to the CCK without the need for a hub, and the tube circuits and phantom power are powered by an external 9v power supply (wall wart). The preamp itself is very clean, but the USB monitoring circuit is very noisy (audio from USB -- PC or iPad -- to the headphones or monitoring line out). I have to make sure the iPad volume is turned all the way up in order to back off the monitoring gain, to get rid of some of the hiss in my headphones or monitors. This in itself is weird: usually with a USB audio interface connected, that overrides the iPad's volume control, right? With this interface, the volume buttons on the iPad affect the level of signal to the USB interface. Weird.

Note that this does NOT translate into a noisy recording, though. It records clean from the preamps to the iPad via USB and sounds very good. It's also got a Coax SPDIF out, but this is not an output from the iPad to SPDIF, just an output from the preamp (mic/line) in. So conceivably I could use the SPDIF output from this, into my Edirol UA-5, and from there into the iPad via USB. If I really wanted.

What was most interesting, though, is that even with the power off and the external power supply removed, it still powers the monitoring circuit via the iPad power (without an external hub) so if you don't mind the hiss (which I do unfortunately), it's a good self-powered USB interface for monitoring.

It's currently on sale at Guitar Center for $99. I'll definitely use it for recording with my ribbon mics because I love me some tubes, but I'll probably mix on a quieter interface like my Edirol UA-5.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:32 pm

I just tested my Shure SM58 with the Apogee Jam and this adapter:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062443

It works and sounds great. Nice, clean, signal for vocals. Easy. Should work with any dynamic microphone.

shaftpolls

Post by shaftpolls » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 am

I just ordered a Focusrite 8i6 to use with my iPad 3.

Do I really need the usb hub ? Since it has that power cable...

Do you also advise to update the firmware to the latest version ?

Thank you

rew0

Tascam iM2 works fine with Auria

Post by rew0 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am

Hi folks, new user here.
Just downloaded Auria onto my iPad3 32GB and it is awesome! Pro layout and functions yet so easy to use.
I thought you might like to know that Auria works fine with the Tascam iM2 stereo microphone plugged into the iPad3 30 pin connector.
Great for good quality stereo recordings but looking forward to upgrading to the Presonus 1818VSL + Behringer ADA8000 so the fun can really start...
Rich.

eemittoo

Post by eemittoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 am

Hi,

Doesnt the snap menu in the edit window supposed to have the option of snapping to bars? These are the only options I get:
Events
Cursor
Seconds(.0001 seconds, .001 seconds etc.)

How to I snap to bars?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 am

You need to set your units first (that setting is located in the Transport Options menu). Set it to Bars:Beats first, then you'll see the correct snapping options appear.

Rim

eemittoo

Post by eemittoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 am

ahh...thanks!

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

Sound devices mixpre-d works with Auria.

iPad 2

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpred/
Last edited by mtingle on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimble

Post by Kimble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Do you know if the Mackie Blackjack interface will work with the iPad / Auria? It says it is class compliant, and works up to 24/48.

sampletime

Post by sampletime » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

Guys
Im using an 18i6...

I've updated Mixcontrol to 305 from the beta link RIM provided....all good (I think).
But...when i go looking for the Ipad templates they don't seem to be there. I've checked the path provided by Focusrite - should be ok. However...nothing, just an old template I created a while back.
So, am I missing the point somewhere...?

All help appreciated...
...thanks in advance.
Paul