The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

kevinmac

Possible bug

Post by kevinmac » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks for Auria.. it's amazing!

In playing around with the McCartney demo, I found that when freezing tracks, they play back out of sync with the non-frozen tracks. The frozen tracks play in sync with each other, and of course the regular non-FX tracks play in sync with each other... but the two sets are out of time with each other.

This happens with every track freeze... the track goes out of sync with the main session, and in sync with other frozen tracks (which are also out of time with the main session). It's like the freeze function is imparting a delay offset when processing.

This is just the demo project, 256 buffer, with no settings changed other than the 64 bit engine was turned ON and the aux delay compensation was turned ON. I haven't read the manual yet, so perhaps there is something I should be setting (or not) to prevent this. It's repeatable every single time.

Thanks for your time... other than this, I've had no crashes or odd behavior.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 am

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. We'll take a look at this. Can you see it this problem happens without Aux Delay Compensation turned on, or without 64 bit mode.

Thanks,
Rim

kevinmac

Post by kevinmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 am

Thanks for your reply. I restarted the iPad3, opened Auria, set aux delay compensation off, turned off 64 bit mode, and the off-time freeze track issue remained. I also tried removing the sub-groups to see if everything lined up when set to just L/R, but that didn't help.

This is still just with the demo... testing this on newly recorded tracks is the next step, just to be sure. Please let me know if you're experiencing my results, though.

-Kevin

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:29 am

Kevin,

Thanks, I'll be looking at this over the next couple of days, and we'll add it to the next update if we're able to find the problem. Thanks so much for letting me know.

Rim

Muttlee23

Usb sound cards

Post by Muttlee23 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 am

Heya,

Auria is amazing, well done! :D Now before i lash out a buy another sound card, i have a question about how one goes about selecting the sampling frequency & rate of the class compliant usb sound cards you have tested. Is Aurtia able to set these for all class compliant devices, or does it need to per configured on the unit as the default setup? It would be great to get some more info on this.

Cheers, and thanks for a great app.
mutt

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Usb sound cards

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 am

Auria is able to use sample rates of 44.1 48K and 96k (iPad is only 44.1 and 48k). If your USB audio interface can support 96k, for example, Auria will use that sample rate. You need to set the sample rate once per project (you do this when you use the New Project dialog). You can't change a sample rate once you create a project.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rim

kevinmac

Post by kevinmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Rim, thanks so much for checking it out. I have another one that's repeatable every time...

I'm still just mixing and playing around with the McCartney demo, and after putting some effects on and creating a rough mix, I hit the FX button on the master fader. In the blue Busspressor "Limiter" section (NOT the Brickwall limiter on the far right, just the main section limiter), I set the controls to my liking, and the ceiling where I want it. Then, when playing back the song, if I move the ceiling control at all, the audio cuts off. I have to hit the home button, then release Auria from memory (double tap home button, hit the X), then when I open Auria again the audio plays properly. Settings are:

HPF straight up
Low cut in
Input +4
Ceiling: Any setting, then when it's moved it cuts all the audio
SoFT on
Attack 10ms
Opto on
Release around 20ms
Lim on
Output straight up

Bypassing doesn't help, nor does changing any of those settings... the sound is gone until reset.

And another question... should all system notifications that can create an audible "beep" be shut off (such as when the iPad receives an iCloud email in Mail)? Can that mess up Auria if a notification beeps in the middle of playback? Didn't happen yet, so I haven't tried it!

Thanks again...

kevinmac

Post by kevinmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Hmmm... once that audio "cut off" issue appears, even after releasing the memory and "resetting," playback seems to get buggy and many times the audio cuts off whether or not the ceiling knob gets moved.

kevinmac

Post by kevinmac » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Testing some more, and it seems that the entire Master Strip cuts off the audio, but the problem stems from the blue limiter section. When the audio is cut off, the meters still show audio playing on the master fader, but even that shuts off from time to time... hitting the Lim button pops the meters up again and they show audio. No sound at all, though.

With the Master Strip off, none of this happens, and I can't get the audio to cut off.

leginkhan

Charge on iPAD using usb interfaces

Post by leginkhan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi, firstly let me say i think this app is really sweet, but i would like to purchase a usb interface from what you have listed on your site. My main concern is when i'm using the usb interface will this charge my iPAD at the same time it's being used? Reason for asking is, i would not like to invest in a usb interface and then would occasionally have to stop recording to charge my iPAD. Can anyone tell me if the usb interfaces devices like i have listed below from your site charge my iPAD while it's connected to my iPAD?

PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Up to 18 inputs
Requires powered USB Hub

RME Fireface UCX
Up to 8 inputs

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
Up to 18 inputs

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
Up to 6 inputs

Tascam US-800
Up to 8 inputs
All mic inputs are always on, and full volume, when monitoring through the unit
In our testing, we found it easy to clip the unit's outputs, and so we recommend allowing for additional headroom when mixing

Phonic Firefly 808 Universal
Up to 8 inputs (analog inputs only)
Requires powered USB Hub

Alesis iO Dock
Up to 2 inputs
Charges iPad while connected

:)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Interesting. I will mention this to PSP, and see if this might be a bug related to the masterstrip.

Thanks,
Rim

Elepha3

Re: Charge on iPAD using usb interfaces

Post by Elepha3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:39 pm

The alesia io dock charges the ipad while in use

Elepha3

Re: Charge on iPAD using usb interfaces

Post by Elepha3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Sorry i meant alesis io dock

baronluigi

Sound card choice

Post by baronluigi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:17 pm

What's the best sound card for audio in, 8 tracks? I have an alesis io dock but it sounds noisy like a toy. Does appogee or some other high quality device work? (not interested in another $200-500 toy, but want true pro quality noiseless interface)

Thank you

dream

Scarlett_I8i6 digital input sync?

Post by dream » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I just got Auria - a very clever made product, congratulations!
I plan to use it with digital inputs of USB interfaces and the Scarlett series seems interesting as they don't resample
the digital inputs as it seems. Is there a way to set these interfaces to external word clock synchronization via digital inputs in Auria?

I connected a Lexicon Omega and it is recognized by Auria and shows 4 inputs. Just as an info - I haven't recorded anything yet.
The digital in of this device has a permanent SRC going on and goes only up to 48 KHz. That's why I look into other options.