The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: Ipad2 with Alesis Iodock, how compatible with Auria?

Post by supanorton » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:27 am

You can also email mp3s out of GarageBand. I don't know how much loss is involved in the conversion, but you don't have to rely on iTunes.

Celestine Audio

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by Celestine Audio » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 ----> [DOES NOT WORK]

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Akai EIE - It Works via cck

Only 16 bit, but what the hell...
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

napocapo

Re: Possible bug

Post by napocapo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:30 pm

hi guys, same "freezing" problem here, freezed tracks goes out of sync...this function is pretty unusable for me right now!

Foster
Expert

1818vsl audio out question

Post by Foster » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:36 pm

I understand that the presonus 1818 headphone out is hardwired to outs 7/8 therefore you can't use it with auria. You said that the iPad can only send outputs to channels 1/2. Does that mean that there is an output signal from the ipad to the presonus on the 1/2 channels? This would be good to hook up to studio monitors.

I want some kind of output from the iPad to the presonus without using the headphone out of the iPad. I don't mind that the headphone out doesn't work on the presonus because the iPad already has one. But it would help if it was from the presonus because you could probably do direct monitoring of the inputs.

I'm also curious if the presonus is considered the best interface to use with auria at this time. Is there anything recommended over the presonus. I know it was said the focusrite did not have the headphone issue. Could you explain that a little more? Does that make it a better interface.

I haven't bought one yet so I want the best. I did however buy auria and so far I seems fantastic.

kevinmac

Re: Possible bug

Post by kevinmac » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Still happening for me... tried doing my own recording and the freeze track function throws everything out of sync, so it's not usable.

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm

First of all, thanks a lot for this BIG advance for music on an ipad.
Got mine since a week, and really like it, and AURIA today ^_^
I'd really like to do a lot of things only with the ipad, with good quality.

I'm wondering what will be my sound interface, so asking a few question.
The new firmware will allow you to plug these devices into an iPad (through the camera connection kit) without needing a usb hub.

The devices include:

Focusrite 18i6
Focusrite 8i6
Presonus 1818VSL

My question about the focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
If i understand well, a powered usb hub is still needed now, isn't it ?

And when i see your quote about a new firmware to be released, i see the 18i6 and 8i6 in the list, but not the 2i2... !?

I really need a (as little as possible) portable device - 2 in is ok - phantom power needed - without the need of powered usb.
Will be perfect for taking the sound for movies / interviews and editing in auria after that.

Thanks !

jabberwocker

Post by jabberwocker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Lynx Aurora 16 with LT-USB working great here (needs latest firmware).

bendy

Post by bendy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Ok I also have both channels working on the following

Io dock
m audio fast track pro - when used through a powered USB

And a new and cheap entry

behringer uca202 works powered from the iPad!!
http://www.behringer.com/es/Products/UCA202.aspx

Testing quality at the mo

I have tried doubling up the uca202 and the fast track pro to get 4 inputs. But no joy

Cool stuff guys

bendy

Post by bendy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Yup the Behringer uca202 works great

Rim
Site Admin

Re: 1818vsl audio out question

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes, the Out 1&2 jacks on the back of the 1818VSL can be used for monitoring, and that works well.

The 1818VSL is the ideal interface for use with an iPad if you need a lot of mic inputs (XLR). If you attach a preamp, you can get 16 mics into an iPad easily.
The Focusrite 18i6 is a little better in terms of compatibility, since it doesn't have the headphone issue, but it's only got 2 mic inputs (the rest are 1/4"). You can also attach a preamp and get 8 more mic inputs.

I won't comment of sound quality, as that's a personal preference. They're both good interfaces.

Rim

jhale1966

Re: Zoom R16/R24

Post by jhale1966 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 pm

OK - I've tried both units and they both come up with the "Cannot Use Device: The connected USB device is not supported" and this IS through a powered USB HUB.

The Zoom H4n however, DOES work fine. :)
Jim Hale
MusicalQuests
http://www.musicalquests.com

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Apogee One working fine.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 pm

So let me see if I understand correctly. The difference between the units, other than the inputs, is that with the focusrite I can use channels 1/2 as outputs and also use the headphone output. With the presonus just channels 1/2 are available not the headphones.

And I am assuming that because the iPad can only output 2 channels out that regardless if it's the headphones or channels 1/2 it's still the same signal. And that there is no way to get a different signal from the headphones and the 1/2 channels. In other words it's just one mix to be monitored.

But with the focusrite aren't you able to monitor the input signal using the headphone jack? So if I am recording vocals to laid down tracks I could increase just the vocal to hear it better, or lower it to hear the music more. Is this only available if I am using the focusrite with a computer? Somewhere I thought I read that you could set up the focusrite with the computer for monitoring inputs and then unplug it and it would remember its settings. This could be good because you could have it set so that all inputs are on the direct monitoring to headphones just for recording, and then, when you want to listen to auria vs the direct monitoring, you could just use the iPad headphone jack. The iPad headphone jack will always have the same 1/2 channel signal so this gives an option if its possible. So is this possible?

I am really leaning towards the presonus for the inputs but the focusrite seems to have an advantage if the above questions are true.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:26 pm

From what the focusrite engineers told us, this is correct - you can set up the 18i6 (or 8i6) with your preferred monitor mix (using the mix control program on your mac/pc), and it will remember this setting. The caveat is that the monitoring is only available through the monitor output jacks on the back of the unit (this is what the monitor knob on the front panel adjusts). The headphone jack on the front panel is simply tied to out 1&2. We have yet to test this ourselves, but this is what we've been told.

If someone has a Focusrite 18i6 or 8i6, and wants to verify this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rim