The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

PatSieb

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by PatSieb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 am

- Edirol UA-25EX ----> [DOES WORK WITH CAMERA CONNECTION KIT AND POWERED HUB]

theaudiomaster

Post by theaudiomaster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 am

M-Audio Fast Track C400 ----> [DOES NOT WORK] (it lights up but iPad won't recognize it)

Breeze

Re: Tascam US-800: Not available. How about US-600 ??

Post by Breeze » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 am

I've been using the US-800 very successfully with Multitrack DAW for a while, recording 8 channels simultaneously including the 2 Digital inputs locked to external S/PDIF clock.

The way to set up the US-800 is to plug an active S/PDIF signal into the US-800 before turning it on. Then plugging its USB into a Mac (the PC software isn't as stable) and then only then turning it on, and afterwards accessing it via its configuration utility. At this point, the digital lock to the correct frequency is confirmed and any mixer assignments and level configuration changes can be made. After this, I keep the unit powered, I close the config utility, put the CCK on the US-800's USB cable, and connect to the iPad.

With Multitrack DAW, these settings are respected and everything works predictably. But from what I understand, Auria performs a reset on this card, which no doubt alters and/defaults any existing user setup. In essence Auria potentially negates the possibility of a proper user setup, but then omits the tools required to re- establish it.

So my question is this: would it be possible for Auria to acquire control of the US-800 without performing this reset? I realize that a proper configuration utility is cimpletely outside of Auria's scope, but this would go some way towards putting the user back in control of card.

Thanks .

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 am

Apogee One ----> [DOES WORK WITH CAMERA CONNECTION KIT, POWERED HUB AND GARAGEBAND FOR INPUT SWITCHING] (Apogee One requires Garageband, besides powered hub, and CC-kit, for switching between the four input settings. When swiching app to e.g. Multitrack DAW or AURIA it keeps the setting. The four mono only input settings are: internal mic, external mic phantom, external mic no phantom, instrument. Supports 24 bit, 44.1/48 kHz.)
Last edited by Erik dP on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:00 am

Apogee Jam IT WORKS
Last edited by Albrecht on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Breeze

Re: Charge on iPAD using usb interfaces

Post by Breeze » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:01 am

Also important to consider is the use of the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). The CCK is designed to provide power externally to a device from the iPad's own power, so there's simply no way to charge an iPad while the CCK is in use. Using powered devices or a powered hub palliaties the problem so that any power the IPad has to provide is minimal (like powering the CCK Itself). But none of that external power makes it to the iPad through the CCK.

So if you use the CCK, it's a good idea to fully charge your iPad before any extended session. The iPad 2 wil, have a slight advantage here because of its lower power consumption, and dimming the display to a low but workable level for all iPads is probably a good idea.

Apple should come up with a proper solution that could perform both functions (USB + Charging). And try to give it a more streamlined body, less prone to disconnection.

theaudiomaster

Post by theaudiomaster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:03 am

Albrecht, it may be useful add "IT WORKS" or "IT DOES NOT WORK" after the name of the interface... thanks ;)

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:05 am

theaudiomaster wrote:Albrecht, it may be useful add "IT WORKS" or "IT DOES NOT WORK" after the name of the interface... thanks ;)
oooops - "edit"

thx for the hint

theaudiomaster

Post by theaudiomaster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:21 am

No probs, mate... thanks for your contribution!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Tascam US-800: Not available. How about US-600 ??

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 am

Have you tried using a USB hub with a US-800, then doing your SPDIF trick before you plug the CCK into the iPad? We haven't tried this here, and weren't aware of this trick. But it might work, since the US-800 will remain active the entire time, and probably won't get reset.

There's no way to gain access to a USB interface to set levels, etc. on an iPad unfortunately. There;s simply no provision for this in the programming tools available to us.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 am

By the way,

Most of these interfaces require a powered USB hub in order to use them with an iPad. We have been worked with both Focusrite and Presonus to fix this issue for the last few months (it stems from the fact that these interfaces report that they draw more power than they actually do, even though they are self-powered). Both Focusrite and Presonus have fixed this issue at our request, and will have updated firmware available soon (no telling exactly when, but you can bug them about it ;)

The new firmware will allow you to plug these devices into an iPad (through the camera connection kit) without needing a usb hub.

The devices include:

Focusrite 18i6
Focusrite 8i6
Presonus 1818VSL

Rim

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 am

Akai EIE Pro NOT WORKING

just to clarify:
the "Akai EIE" should work, but not tested by me

theaudiomaster

Post by theaudiomaster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 am

Rim, awesome work !
Serious opportunity, now, to have a *real* mobile studio ..

dream

Re: Scarlett_I8i6 digital input sync?

Post by dream » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am

I did contact Focusrite and the answer is a let down.
They wrote: "In order to use the digital input of the Scarlett you will need to have the Scarlett Mix control software open, and unfortunately this is not possible with an iPad and the Scarlett does not have a standalone mode. It is also worth noting that we do not support our interfaces with the iPad."

The last sentence is a bummer and contradicts a note somewhere here in the forum that they indeed changed the firmware for better compatibility.
Could you implement a word clock selection menu entry for the Scarlett line?

quattroquarti

Scarlett 2i2

Post by quattroquarti » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 am

Hello!
Will Scarlett 2i2 work with the new iPad (iPad 2012) and Auria?

Thanks,
quattroquarti