The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BlackBox
Expert

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by BlackBox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 am

Hi. I'm sure their I'd somethi g within this thread that could point me in the right direction but there is just too much to sift through trying to find it. What is an ideal interface for recording drums? I see some interfaces that look nice but would like something not only for Auria but a regualr DAW set up as well

Lynn Fuston
Expert

Post by Lynn Fuston » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 am

I tried the Presonus 1818VSL, the Focusrite18i6, and a Focusrite OctoPre via lightpipe into the Presonus. The Octopre sounded the best and was quieter than the Presonus. The 18i6 sounds good but you'll need more than two preamps likely. NOTE: The Presonus will work with an iPad but, as their tech support will tell you, it is not officially supported. As of November 2012.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am

jpomeroy3 wrote:I don't understand how to hook up the PreSonus 1818VSL, powered hub and camera connection kit to the iPad.
Is there a diagram somewhere?
Connect the 1818's usb to the powered usb hub
Connect the main usb of the powered usb hub to the usb camera connection kit
Plug the camera connection kit to the iPad
Plug the audio out of the 1818 to stereo or powered speakers or simply plug in some headphones into the 1818vls

Don't forget to plug the powered usb hub into an AC outlet as you will need this to power up the devices.
All Audio is routed through the usb cable so NO other cables get plugged into the iPad that includes headphones as the iPads headphones are disabled when using an external usb Audio Device

That's it and hope this helps.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

hselburn wrote:Would this headphone amp work for the 1818vsl in Auria? It's presonus so I hope so. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP4/
Yes. Headphone amps work with the audio only and are not interested where the source is from so you simply supply the headphone amp an audio cue from the main headphones out of any device and then each person can adjust what level they prefer as well as 4 people can be listening to the mix. These units also supply a little more powere than the usual heaphone output found on most devices so be careful not to damage your ears as they can sometimes be quite hot in signal. very good however for drummers who need. Mix above the natural volume of the kit. So Auria plays no role in a headphone Amp/splitter.
Hope this helps
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
jpomeroy3 wrote:I don't understand how to hook up the PreSonus 1818VSL, powered hub and camera connection kit to the iPad.
Plug the audio out of the 1818 to stereo or powered speakers or simply plug in some headphones into the 1818vls

Don't forget to plug the powered usb hub into an AC outlet as you will need this to power up the devices.
All Audio is routed through the usb cable so NO other cables get plugged into the iPad that includes headphones as the iPads headphones are disabled when using an external usb Audio
This is correct if you are running iOS 6.x, but if you are running iOS 5.x, the headphone jack on the 1818 will not have any output. Under iOS 5.x, I was able to use the headphone jack on the iPad successfully provided I plugged into it after launching Auria and letting it detect the 1818 interface.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am

Blue Spark Digital works with iPad 4 (iOS 6.0.1).
It is supplied with two cables (USB and 30pin). The first works with the 'new' CCK and the latter works with the 30pin to Lightning adapter.
The mic appears as a stereo input for some odd reason, (both for Multitrack DAW and Auria).

Using the USB cable and CCK seems to keep the mic powered up more of the time than the 30pin/Lightning cable, which is sometimes handy.

The mic is, like most of the Blue products I've purchased, slightly less good than hoped for. Headphone output has only 8 steps, which simply isn't enough granularity. The 'off'' step produces a strange whine which disappears on the other 7 steps. Volume at full tilt is moderately good, but a little distorted. Treble is generally quite harsh throughout the range. Bass extension is quite good.
The mic gain has about 8 steps too, but doesn't go to 'zero'. Mic quality is ok, reasonably full and pleasing.

It must be remembered that Blue have only 20mA (100mW) to play with here. Headphone output is quoted as 59mW (RMS) so I'm guessing that leaves only 41mW for all the rest - logic (USB and iOS negotiation, button control, LED control), LED illumination, one channel of A/D and two channels of D/A. Not bad. My biggest wish would have been separate mic gain and headphone gain controls, and preferably a mix control too. But it works as it stands. It's quite pretty too and solid and weighty enough to fight off an intruder.

Dominic

doncho

44VSL

Post by doncho » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:55 am

Hi.

Just bought a Presonus 44VSL and it seems to be functioning without a usb hub. First time I connected it I was using a hub (non powered).
I then decided to try it without the hub and it was recognized and seems to be working alright. Tried a quick recording in Auria and everything was ok.

I'm on an iPad 4.

empolo

Post by empolo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm happy to report that Native Instruments' Komplete Audio 6 does indeed work with Auria (and the iPad in general) via a powered USB hub. The KA6 is class-compliant - just provide power and you're set.

So far, I've tested:

Auria
BeatMaker 2
NanoStudio
iMaschine
Loopy HD

...and all work great. With regard to Auria, the Input and Output matrices see all of my KA6's ins/outs.

Unrelated, the Apogee One (mono in, stereo out) works fine as well (with a powered USB hub).

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi,

I've been having problems with recording an acoustic guitar via a condensor mic (with phantom power) on a Tascam iu2. The input signal is so low that i have to turn it up so much that it adds a ridiculous amount of hiss which is not acceptable at all.
I've tried different cables, mics, and apps other than auria ( which I love) but no improvements.

Has anyone heard of similar problems with the iu2? Also, i was thinking of replacing it with a focusrite itrack solo but wanted to know if it works and if so, how good is the recording quality and is there much hiss? I only need to record one track at a time and just want a clean signal, low hiss signal from a well made device!

Thanks,
Tim

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm

On the iU2 did you turn on the phantom power on the "underside"?Sorry,but sometimes it's just little things like that.
I used the iU2 on an iPd3 and it worked fine,but now I'm on iPad 4 and the iU2 is NOT recognized.

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Has anyone tried a sound devices usbpre2 interface with auria? It has worked well for me with jamup on an iPad 4 using a powered USB hub.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 am

DavePDX wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:

All Audio is routed through the usb cable so NO other cables get plugged into the iPad that includes headphones as the iPads headphones are disabled when using an external usb Audio
This is correct if you are running iOS 6.x, but if you are running iOS 5.x, the headphone jack on the 1818 will not have any output. Under iOS 5.x, I was able to use the headphone jack on the iPad successfully provided I plugged into it after launching Auria and letting it detect the 1818 interface.
I write my advice on the latest iOS and App version. If the question was for an older iOS I didn't get that from the post. Good advice if your still on iOS 5.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 am

timmyg wrote:Hi,

I've been having problems with recording an acoustic guitar via a condensor mic (with phantom power) on a Tascam iu2. The input signal is so low that i have to turn it up so much that it adds a ridiculous amount of hiss which is not acceptable at all.
I've tried different cables, mics, and apps other than auria ( which I love) but no improvements.

Has anyone heard of similar problems with the iu2? Also, i was thinking of replacing it with a focusrite itrack solo but wanted to know if it works and if so, how good is the recording quality and is there much hiss? I only need to record one track at a time and just want a clean signal, low hiss signal from a well made device!

Thanks,
Tim
I can't report on the tascam but I do use the Focusrite product and it works and sounds great. No hiss rapt all and very clean pro sound. Worth the $149.00

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks,
Tim
I'm afraid the iU2 is not a very expensive interface and therefore is unlikely to have much clean gain without hiss. Make sure that you have the switches on the bottom set to 'mic' rather than 'line'. Other than that, I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the hiss. I had an iU2 and sold it because it doesn't work with the iPad 4. The good thing about it is zero latency monitoring with a mix control - the only other interface I can find for iPad with a similar feature is the Sound Devices USBPre2, which is 6 times the price. The headphone amp is weak on the iU2 as well. If you value the zero latency monitoring and the mix control (the iTrack Solo doesn't have the mix control) then you could consider an external mic pre-amp and plug that in at line level to the iU2. The iU2 will take a surprisingly hot input from a pro-level preamp, so it's a reasonable option. You can always plug a headphone amp onto the output of the iU2 as well, if you need more volume.

The Blue Spark Digital (which I'm using at the moment) has the same arrangement as the iTrack Solo - zero latency monitoring but with no control over the balance between the input signal and the recorded signal. You have some control by altering the output volume of the app you are using, but it's far from optimal.

I haven't heard or used the iTrack Solo, but it's another cheap device and is unlikely to give you high gain without hiss. There's a reason good mic pres are tens of times the price these devices.

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 pm

dominicperry wrote:

Thanks,
Tim
I'm afraid the iU2 is not a very expensive interface and therefore is unlikely to have much clean gain without hiss. Make sure that you have the switches on the bottom set to 'mic' rather than 'line'. Other than that, I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the hiss. I had an iU2 and sold it because it doesn't work with the iPad 4. The good thing about it is zero latency monitoring with a mix control - the only other interface I can find for iPad with a similar feature is the Sound Devices USBPre2, which is 6 times the price. The headphone amp is weak on the iU2 as well. If you value the zero latency monitoring and the mix control (the iTrack Solo doesn't have the mix control) then you could consider an external mic pre-amp and plug that in at line level to the iU2. The iU2 will take a surprisingly hot input from a pro-level preamp, so it's a reasonable option. You can always plug a headphone amp onto the output of the iU2 as well, if you need more volume.

The Blue Spark Digital (which I'm using at the moment) has the same arrangement as the iTrack Solo - zero latency monitoring but with no control over the balance between the input signal and the recorded signal. You have some control by altering the output volume of the app you are using, but it's far from optimal.

I haven't heard or used the iTrack Solo, but it's another cheap device and is unlikely to give you high gain without hiss. There's a reason good mic pres are tens of times the price these devices.

Dominic
I use the Focusrite 2i2 which really is like the iTrack Solo. Once again the unit is quite, no hiss, tons of hot signal at the headphone out, 24 bit/96khz studio award wining mic pres from their liquid series, control over gain input, zero latency monitoring although I get no noticable latency. Unless your really a great artist with aspiring goals of being a producer the expensive stuff wont be noticed by anyone but your friends and family and a few people on soundcloud. They make those expensive mic pres for people earning an income from it. Typically if your recording on a $500 device then a $2000 piece os studio gear won't change a thing in the end. Try one out on rental or purchase with the right to return if your not happy but if you want to hear my track recorded with the Focusrite 2i2 then here is the link.

Ehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFtyb-lfnw

verything in the mix except for the first 20 seconds was recorded through that device and if I didn't tell you , you would never guess that it was recorded using a $149.00 audio interface. Cheers.