The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
dominicperry wrote:
timmyg wrote:Hi,

I've been having problems with recording an acoustic guitar via a condensor mic (with phantom power) on a Tascam iu2. The input signal is so low that i have to turn it up so much that it adds a ridiculous amount of hiss which is not acceptable at all.
I've tried different cables, mics, and apps other than auria ( which I love) but no improvements.

Has anyone heard of similar problems with the iu2? Also, i was thinking of replacing it with a focusrite itrack solo but wanted to know if it works and if so, how good is the recording quality and is there much hiss? I only need to record one track at a time and just want a clean signal, low hiss signal from a well made device!

Thanks,
Tim
I'm afraid the iU2 is not a very expensive interface and therefore is unlikely to have much clean gain without hiss. Make sure that you have the switches on the bottom set to 'mic' rather than 'line'. Other than that, I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the hiss. I had an iU2 and sold it because it doesn't work with the iPad 4. The good thing about it is zero latency monitoring with a mix control - the only other interface I can find for iPad with a similar feature is the Sound Devices USBPre2, which is 6 times the price. The headphone amp is weak on the iU2 as well. If you value the zero latency monitoring and the mix control (the iTrack Solo doesn't have the mix control) then you could consider an external mic pre-amp and plug that in at line level to the iU2. The iU2 will take a surprisingly hot input from a pro-level preamp, so it's a reasonable option. You can always plug a headphone amp onto the output of the iU2 as well, if you need more volume.

The Blue Spark Digital (which I'm using at the moment) has the same arrangement as the iTrack Solo - zero latency monitoring but with no control over the balance between the input signal and the recorded signal. You have some control by altering the output volume of the app you are using, but it's far from optimal.

I haven't heard or used the iTrack Solo, but it's another cheap device and is unlikely to give you high gain without hiss. There's a reason good mic pres are tens of times the price these devices.

Dominic
I use the Focusrite 2i2 which really is like the iTrack Solo. Once again the unit is quite, no hiss, tons of hot signal at the headphone out, 24 bit/96khz studio award wining mic pres from their liquid series, control over gain input, zero latency monitoring although I get no noticable latency. Unless your really a great artist with aspiring goals of being a producer the expensive stuff wont be noticed by anyone but your friends and family and a few people on soundcloud. They make those expensive mic pres for people earning an income from it. Typically if your recording on a $500 device then a $2000 piece os studio gear won't change a thing in the end. Try one out on rental or purchase with the right to return if your not happy but if you want to hear my track recorded with the Focusrite 2i2 then here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFtyb-lfnw

Everything in the mix except for the first 20 seconds was recorded through that device and if I didn't tell you , you would never guess that it was recorded using a $149.00 audio interface. Cheers.
Sorry the other link had an E in front of http

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I agree that it's possible to waste a lot of money on high end gear. And I certainly believe that there is a fetish in the so-called 'Pro-Audio' world - (which is really mostly amateurs with a lot of money) - about A/D and D/A conversion. Very cheap A/D & D/A convertors can be pretty good. Even the ones built into the iPhone are not bad, especially if you bypass the headphone out and use the line out (no longer possible from iPhone 4 on, of course, which is digital out).

But getting good clean gain from cheap mic pres is hard. If you can do it with your 212, great stuff. I suspect you are close mic'ing sources and not using much gain. I think you'd be hard pressed to record a choir with a couple of small-diaphragm condenser mics using it, but I may be wrong. It may be that the iU2 is terrible and the 212 is much better.

Dominic

MMarkov

Post by MMarkov » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:31 pm

I wanted to add the Yamaha Audiogram 6 to the list of interfaces that do not work with Auria. No internal power and the usb doesn't provide enough power. I did get it to light up when I plugged it into a powered hub but no luck with it working.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 am

I've been looking at the Novation ZeRo SL MKii for use as a hardware mixer for Auria. I researched it and it is class compliant and will work on the iPad. Will Auria recognize the CC changes like my Magelan Synth or is that not yet a feature of Auria . Ie. does Auria need to have its midi implemented in order for this controller to work? Since Auria has automation which is usually all controlled still by program change values, will Auria respond to outside controller changes. Thanks.
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 am

Anthony Alves wrote:I've been looking at the Novation ZeRo SL MKii for use as a hardware mixer for Auria. I researched it and it is class compliant and will work on the iPad. Will Auria recognize the CC changes like my Magelan Synth or is that not yet a feature of Auria . Ie. does Auria need to have its midi implemented in order for this controller to work? Since Auria has automation which is usually all controlled still by program change values, will Auria respond to outside controller changes. Thanks.
~~_/)~~~
Sorry should have done some test before posting. No this currently won't work. So I guess my question is when the midi is implemented in Auria will Auria respond too CC commands for use with an external mix controller?

Chrism41

Post by Chrism41 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi
New to the forum, first post. My wife got me Auria, Focusrite 8i6, and a new IPad for Christmas. I set it up using Apples camera connection kit with adaptor (the new iPad has the smaller connection). It didn't read the hardware so I bought Apples "lightning USB connector", which also does not work. My old IPad works fine using the camera connector and powered USB hub. Anyone know a way to use the hardware with the new IPad?
Thanks for any help.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:25 am

Hey Chris, this previous post may help you

http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9686

I'm not entirely sure though since I don't have the same equipment...

Chrism41

Post by Chrism41 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 am

Thank you. I got it going. The problem was I had to download the firmware from Focusrite. For some reason I wasn't able to download the firmware from the Focusrite website to my IPad, so I downloaded it to my computer and dragged it into the Auria folder in ITunes.
Everything works fine now. Also, no need for the powered USB hub.

Thanks

kwalker0210
Expert

Re: Zoom R8 Works with iPad 2

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 am

Hope this is not a repeat: I can confirm that the Zoom R8 works with iPad2, using CCK and powered USB hub.

Sprspr

Post by Sprspr » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 am

Hello guys,
Have you by chance already tested compatibilty with Phonic Helix Board 12 Plus ?
Tanks for your support

altivec

Auria and Apogee Symphony I/O connected via USB2 cable

Post by altivec » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

hello, who know if Auria works with a Apogee Symphony I/O connected via USB2 cable ?

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Auria and Apogee Symphony I/O connected via USB2 cable

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 am

altivec wrote:hello, who know if Auria works with a Apogee Symphony I/O connected via USB2 cable ?
There's no mention of the Apogee Symphony USB card being USB 2.0 Class Compliant on their website, so I'm guessing that it won't work. I'd shoot their tech support an email. Ask about whether it works with iPad rather than Auria. If it works with an iPad, multichannel, then it will almost certainly work with Auria.

I'm answering hypothetically, because I don't recall anyone here talking about Apogee Symphony before.
It will work with the Lynx Aurora USB card, if that's any help.

Dominic

altivec

Post by altivec » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 am

thanx Dominic, that's what i thinking too..

gsv

Post by gsv » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 am

kk so I have an 1818vsl which I purchased to go with the Auria App which I downloaded (version 1.05) yesterday for my iPad2 (running 6.0.1) expecting to be able to plug and play... I grabbed a powered 4 port usb (Belkin... yuck but it was cheap) and plugged it all in... big red light on USB Sync :(

Reading on the net and in these forums I thought that perhaps the Belkin was a problem so returned it and purchased a 7 port one from Dick Smith today... same result... (both worked fine when attached to my Win7 laptop btw)

Reset the iPad thinking that maybe a software issue that could be fixed by a reset but no luck there...

Tested the CCK connection with a different usb input and that was fine...

Deleted the app (Auria) and reinstalled it... still no change... the thing just does not want to play...

Definitely NOT buying a lottery ticket today :(

Any suggestions please...