Apogee Duet Power Question

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Struggle

Apogee Duet Power Question

Post by Struggle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I can’t get my Apogee Duet for ipad/iPhone/Mac to power on via wall wart power supply. However, I can power it from my Mac via usb.

I originally bought the duet to record via iPad and worked brilliantly for a year until i started using a Mac. Been about 2 years now and got a hankering to use the iPad again..only now it doesn’t power the iPad and I get a pop up saying...Cannot use device. Duet USB: The connected device requires too much power. I thought perhaps the power adapter went bad so I purchased a new one from Apogee..still doesn’t work.

Shouldn’t the Duet power on via the supplied wall wart adapter without any other connections? I’ve been going around in circles with Apogee support since last Wednesday with no answers. Their answer now is to buy a new lightning adapter, but mine obviously still works. Thought I’d ask this seemingly simple question here before I give up and stick with the Mac.

I was really looking forward to using it with the iPad and Auria again! Thanks in advance for any insight.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Apogee Duet Power Question

Post by Corey W » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:25 pm

You can use the Duet without the wall wart and should instead use the Apple USB3 CCK (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... ra-adapter).
Plug an extra USB to lightning cable from a USB wall power adapter into the CCK and it will provide enough power for the Duet and charge your iPad at the same time.
Use the standard Apogee mini USB to USB A cable included with the Duet instead of the Apogee mini USB to lightning cable.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Oh thanks Corey!!! Didn’t know that existed. I’ll order one now!

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:21 pm

So I got one of those adapters. It wouldn’t power the Duet on its own so I plugged the wall wart in at the same time and now it works! After some tinkering I’ve found that I cant power the duet with just one or the other..has to be both. Oh well, works now! Thanks again.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 am

Apogee just sent me this message..

“Please make sure you are using the Apogee brand USB to Lighting Cable, as third party cables and adapters will not allow iOS connection.”

They also informed me that it’s out of stock until next month. I don’t think they even offered this cable when I bought the Duet.

Now I can’t get Maestro to work now so I can’t configure anything.

I just want to play and record. Think I’ll be looking for a new/different brand interface soon.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 pm

UPDATE: I bought apogees thunderbolt cable and it works perfectly. The camera kit adapter used to work well, but I guess somewhere along the way that changed. Anyway just thought I’d put this information up for future reference.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Corey, what kind of USB wall power adapter do you use? I’ve bought several different power adapters, Apogee Lightning Cables etc and I can’t get neither my Apogee Duet or Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 gen 2 to run with my iPad. Feels like I’ve tried everything and nothing works. I bought one of those camera connection kits by apple so maybe it’s a good start.

Renfield
Expert

Post by Renfield » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Now I got it to work! Thanks you so much!