Low Recording Level w/ ZEDi-10fx, Unless...

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lugosi

Low Recording Level w/ ZEDi-10fx, Unless...

Post by Lugosi » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm

[youtube]https://youtu.be/0qRMUFoS340[/youtube]

Hello folks,and thanks in advance if you can help with this.

I get a really low recording level using Auria Pro though my ZEDi-10fx mixer, unless another audio program (in this case, MultiTrack DAW) is also running. It does not appear that the order of startup has anything to do with it.

When MT DAW is started, even if nothing is recorded in it, the record level in Auria Pro jumps up to normal levels. If MT is stopped, levels go back to very low.

This phenomenon first appeared in Auria (2.14?) which is the version I had when I got the mixer, and I was hoping that if it was related to the software that an upgrade to Auria Pro (2.18) would fix it, but no.

I did not screen record my iPad, as I did not want any other apps potentially interfering, so this is a rough iPhone video, but I hope it demonstrates what’s going on.

The Apogee One that may be visible in the video does not demonstrate this effect into AP, but the One is of course less flexible than the A&H mixer. Similarly, the issue does not happen in MT DAW when used with the ZEDi.

Some settings are captured in the vid, but if more info is needed, I’m happy to provide.

Ideas? Thanks!

Danny

Lugosi

Re: Low Recording Level w/ ZEDi-10fx, Unless...

Post by Lugosi » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 pm

I should have added the following...

iPad Pro 9.7” 128GB (60GB+ free)
iOS 11.3.1 (same behavior under 11.3)
USB-B to Lightning cable (same result with std cable and Apple CCK)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 am

It looks like MT Daw sets the gain for your interface to some arbitrary level on startup. Auria doesn't do that by default, but allows you to set it to where you want it. If you go to the mixer page in Auria, then tap and hold on the record enable button for your track, you'll get a pop-up window allowing you to set the gain.

Rim

Lugosi

Post by Lugosi » Sat May 12, 2018 1:11 pm

You’re right, of course! I’ve tried that control, but never went far above 0dB as everything looked great from the mixer’s/monitor’s perspective.

I was assuming that mixer levels of ~0 to +6dB into the iPad needed no additional gain and that somewhere around 0 in Auria would be unity gain.

I have to crank the Record Gain control in Auria to +35 to 40dB to get a decent signal! I’m confused why this particular mixer has such low output via USB, but at least I’m rolling again.

Thanks for the help!

Danny