Arming a track kills the interface (FR 18i20)

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Slaughtertown

Arming a track kills the interface (FR 18i20)

Post by Slaughtertown » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello, Sorry that my first post here is about a problem. As a recent Pro Tools escapee, I am excited to try Auria Pro.

iPad Pro 9.7 (2016) with iOS 11.1 and 105GB free (only a few apps loaded, use for Notion, UC Surface and Kindle mostly)
Auria Pro 2.14 just purchased and installed last week.
Focusrite 18i20 interface - 96K/24 and basic routing (ch1-8 in, headphones and monitor out) set with MixControl via laptop
Official Apple camera adapter dongle (with USB and Lightning)
New 4-channel recording, input matrix (Auria) set channel-to-track (1-4 diagonal). No effects.

On my interface, I set the mic pre-amp gain to a nice level on the LED monitors. In Auria input-matrix, I see the same levels bouncing nicely along on the appropriate channels. Back to the mixer, if I press "Arm" for any track, either instantly or after 4-5 seconds, I lose the input signal and any "pre-amped" channel will have a repeating sound like a TR-808 "clap" at about 120bpm, while the others are nearly silent. (For example, if channels 1 and 2 had properly set gain, those tracks would have the "clap" sound, and channels 3 and 4 have just a bit of it). At this point, the LED meters on the interface are completely flat/dark and knobs unresponsive. I can still record (the clapping, not desired signal). Only resetting the interface power will clear this state, but anytime I arm any channel, this situation repeats.

If I turn off the interface and use just the iPad internal mic, I can record quite nice audio without problem.

If I use Garage Band (sorry to mention it, we are troubleshooting) I can record simultaneous multi-track using this interface without problem.

If I use Studio One Pro 3.5 or Pro Tools 12.7 with a Win10-laptop and this interface (usual setup), no problem.

Any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong? It all seems pretty straightforward. Sad part is I started recording an album for a men's chorus last week. I hoped to do it all in Auria/iPad (to show off) but had to start it in Studio One (still a first-time there, after leaving Pro tools).

Thanks in advance!

Slaughtertown

Re: Arming a track kills the interface (FR 18i20)

Post by Slaughtertown » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:13 pm

96 views in two weeks and nobody has any tiny suggestion?

Anyway, because I wasn't hearing anything here at the forum I sent an email directly to Auria support. Corey pointed out that my testing with Garage Band (on the iPad) had to have been in 44.1kHz, so asked if I could try Auria at that sample rate. Here are the results, in case this rings any bells for something I can try to make this work at 96kHz...
Hello Corey,

I got back to the location where I am recording with that interface to try your suggestions.

After the session, I changed the interface to 44.1kHz (with a laptop and Focurite "Mix Control") then reconnected to the iPad through the camera adapter dongle. I could arm and record a track with Auria at 44.1kHz. I did about 3 short (15-30 second) recordings without error.

I then switched the interface back to 96kHz and created a NEW project in Auria, with one track, at 96kHz. As before, from 1-10 seconds after arming the track, the interface completely locks up and has to be power-reset. It seems to work fine until arming (can hear through headphone output, the bar-meter reflects actual input at the "input matrix" setting screen, but right after arming, no joy.

I switched back and forth several times 44.1 - 96 and got the same results.

Please remember, this interface works without any problems at all in 96kHz with Pro Tools and Studio One. In fact, I went back to recording last night with Studio One in 96kHz, as I have for this entire project. Only when using Auria in 96kHz does it have a problem, and that happens when a track is armed.

What is your next thought?

Slaughtertown

Post by Slaughtertown » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 pm

In a strange turn of events, if after rebooting the iPad I first run Presonus Capture (and successfully record in 96kHz) I can then record in Auria (in 96kHz) no problem. Once I go back to using the interface for other purposes (like on a PC with Studio One, which works fine) then return to Auria, it locks up the interface again when I arm a track in 96kHz. It is quite reproducible.

What is getting "set" by Capture that Auria needs before it can record in 96kHz without locking up the interface?

Slaughtertown

Post by Slaughtertown » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello? Bueller? Feeling kinda lonely here!

I confirmed again. Arming a track at 96kHz in Auria will lock up the interface. No problems at other sample rates. No problems at 96kHz with other apps. I've provided the requested info to support (FW version, etc) but haven't gotten a response for weeks.

If I first reboot the iPad and launch a different recording app at 96kHz (such as Presonus Capture) before launching Auria, then I can arm and record on multiple tracks in Auria without the interface freezing (at least for the one-minute or so I let it run).

So I wonder what needs to be set by the other recording app before Auria is launched that keeps it from locking up the interface, and how to fix it? Otherwise I'm not going to record with this app. I have no confidence that it will get through a session.

Anyone?

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 am

I have tested and run extensive sessions at 96k and can not get the 18i20 to 'lock up'. I am simply not seeing this happen on my end using an Air2.

Have you tried to run a factory reset on the 18i20 from the MixControl app?