iPad Air 2 - seeking powered interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jameslondon74

iPad Air 2 - seeking powered interface

Post by jameslondon74 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:55 am

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help - im trying to find an interface for my iPad Air 2 which will power/charge my iPad while I use it. I don't want to worry about running down the battery during each session.

I'd ideally like midi and audio.

There seem to be a few on the market, and most of the postings I find are quite old now. So some up to date advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
James

Corey W
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 - seeking powered interface

Post by Corey W » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 am

Well the good news is Apple released an updated USB3 CCK that takes care of the iPad charging problem: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... ra-adapter
You can use any USB hardware interface you would like now and plug a lightning cable into the second port to charge your iPad.

jameslondon74

Post by jameslondon74 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:59 am

But won't the hardware interface device still need to have the ability to send power to the iPad? Bit confused...sorry.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:35 am

No, with the USB3 CCK you run a separate lightning cable (the USB end is plugged into an outlet) to the lightning slot and that charges your iPad.

artguy

Post by artguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 am

I just added an iconnectivity 4 to my gear stash. It has 4 mic inputs, full midi and both usb for iPad as well as USB for computer. I really like it.

It also comes with cables for both computer and iPad (lightning) and charges the iPad while in use. No camera connection kit required.

I also have a behringer X air X18 which I use with the apple adapter. It’s obviously got more inputs but I find myself using the iconnectivity box more lately.