Focusrite iTrack Solo not working on new iPad - updated

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Francer

Focusrite iTrack Solo not working on new iPad - updated

Post by Francer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi folks

New Auria user here, Sorry my first post is a problem report.

I'm experiencing the nearly exactly same issues as here with the iTrack solo.

Running a new 2017 ipad with 10.3.2

Cannot record audio, records for a 20 secs or so and then appears to be recording ok but on playback is see repetetive spikes on the waveform and audio sounds like a stuck record.

When playing back the built in Heartbeat project, will play ok in mixer view but sound drops out after about 20 secs in playback when looking at waveform view.

My iTrack works fine with Garageband, and other audio apps.

Also, i tried my Digitech Multifx RP255 and this doesn't work so well either, different problems though, glitches in sound, and at one point horrible full volume screeching that left my ears ringing for a while - not pleasant!

Is someone at Auria looking into this please?

Can anyone confirm a reasonably cheap USB interface that does work with new iPad + Auria.

Auria does look great and I'd really like to stick with it if I can get these issues sorted without spending a bunch of cash on new hardware.

Cheers,
Francer
Last edited by Francer on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirge59
Expert

Re: Focusrite iTrack Solo not working on new iPad

Post by Dirge59 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:44 pm

It is the Wimpy power supply that can't seem to charge both the iPad 2017 and USB midi power. Look in your garage and see if you can find a 12 volt, Center positive that is equal to or stronger than 1500 milliamps.
I

Francer

Post by Francer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, I do have a compatible 5v/2A supply but that didn't work either. To be honest I'm sceptical that a 12V supply would do the trick if a USB one were available, the iTrack runs off USB power, not from a centre positive style power supply.

It works fine with other apps, it's just Auria that doesn't work. I'm a software developer myself and whilst you should always keep an open mind when trying to resolve these issues, for me I strongly suspect it's an Auria bug/possible compatibility issue with the new iPad model.

Would be great if someone from Auria could respond to this, I would imagine the iTrack is pretty popular as an interface and more and more people will be moving to the new iPads so I can't be the only one.

Of course, if there are people already using this combination with no issues (new 2017 ipad, 10.3.2, iTrack Solo) please let me know and I'll look into my set up again.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 am

We have multiple reported issues with the new (5th gen, 2017) iPad and Focusrite interfaces. We should have one of these iPads in our possession next week and Focusrite is also looking into the issue on their end.

We will report back shortly.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:14 am

@Francer What is the model number of your iPad (Settings App> General> About> Model)?

Francer

Post by Francer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Corey

Thanks for the response, good news to hear it's being looked into.

My iPad is model no. MPGW2B/A

Francer

Post by Francer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 am

I have discovered a workaround to make this usable.

If you set it up with a powered USB hub and use the iTrack regular USB socket (NOT the MFI socket/cable), then into the iPad via a camera kit then it seems to work OK. I haven't extensively tested it, but so far for recording and playback it has been fine.

I know people have mentioned this could be a voltage issue but I'm not so sure, I am using the same power supply I was using with the MFI cable and that definitely did not work before - now there's a whole bunch of cables and connectors in the path and it still functions ok.

I'm hesitant to say this is definitely fixed but looks good so far ... :)

Note - this is the Focusrite iTrack Solo, not the dock version.

hselburn
Expert

Re: Focusrite iTrack Solo not working on new iPad - updated

Post by hselburn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am

Does the itrack solo work with the 1st generation iPad Pro 9.7?

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 am

From what I have seen, the iTrack Solo should work with the first gen iPad Pro without any issue.

hselburn
Expert

Post by hselburn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Awesome. And I thank you. By the time I get a new iPad the iPad Pro 3 or 10.5 v2 will be out and hopefully it won't have any issues either.