IPAD2 to Xair X18 cable

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jerdmann54

IPAD2 to Xair X18 cable

Post by jerdmann54 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Can someone please tell me exactly what cables I need between an IPAD2 and an Xair X18 in order to record with Auria? What are the model #s and where can I obtain them? Thank You

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: IPAD2 to Xair X18 cable

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:07 pm

You will need a Apple Camera Connection kit ( CCK ) USB adapter available at any apple retailer. This allows you to plug a usb cable into your iPad. You will need a usb cable . Make sure it has standard usb on one end ( flat ) and usb type3 on the other end of the cable. The usb type3 end ( more square ) plugs into the X18 and the standard end plugs into the Apple USB adapter. These usb cables are the ones you always get with any music usb keyboard. There pretty standard and you probably got one with your X18. If the iPad says that the unit your trying to use draws too much power , this warning will pop up on the iPad screen, then you will also need a powered usb hub. Thats simply a usb hub that has a power supply that you plug into your power outlet. Then simply plug the iPad into the main computer port of the usb hub and plug everything else into the usb hubs inputs. The X18 included. My powered usb hub has 5 ports so I can plug in extra midi controlers. You wont need the powered usb hub if the X18 is capable of charging the iPad at the same time as the iPad is plugged into it. That part I haven't researched yet.
Anyway you will end up with 18 channels of audio that you can record with one or all channels at once and you can also send 18 channels back out to the X18 all wired inside of Auria using the input and output matrix. All audio into the iPad and out of the iPad is passed through that single usb cable. Thats it. Cheers and good luck.

jduvick

Post by jduvick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:24 am

Another option to power the iPad while connected to the X18 would be the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, which has both a USB3 and a Lightning port available when plugged into the iPad. No hub is needed, just connect the Lightning port to any USB power adaptor, and the USB3 port to the X18.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

he has an iPad 2 so I'm not sure if the usb3 adapter will work thats why I didn't suggest it but that is the one I use in my studio. Worth a try for sure.