Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio possible to change to ipad

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

markfrancombe

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio possible to change to ipad

Post by markfrancombe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi,
I have just got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and got it to work using the usual powered hub/Camera connection kit combo.
however was disappointed to find that the audio was not switchable to use the iPad headphone socket rather than the Scarlet.
Not a very serious biggie, just annoying cos it'll mean a headphone adaptor than means another trip to town (I live in the wilds of Norway) No way to configure this via Audiobus or sommat?

M

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio possible to change to ipad

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 am

No this is an iOS format. When a usb audio interface is plugged into the iPad it automatically sets the audio in/out ports to be assigned to the audio interface. If iOS had a menu in which you could choose your audio sources like a desktop than you could direct the audio from more than the audio interface like the interspeakers as output or headphones but this is not possible currently in iOS. Trust me the adapter will be worth it as the audio headphone quality of the Focusrite far surpasses the iPad DA converter quality. A better monitoring experience. Most pro headphones come with 1/4" adapters because most pro audio heaphone socets are 1/4". Welcome to pro audio. Cheers.

markfrancombe

Re: Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio possible to change to ipad

Post by markfrancombe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Anthony Alves wrote: Welcome to pro audio.
Ha ha.. ok thanks.. Actually I have a pretty PRO audio studio myself, but Ill admit to being quite newbie at iPad recording...
Quality is not really an issue at this level, im only using the iPad for quick and dirty idea jamming, the nice-ish interface was meant so I can infact maybe use some recordings from Auria once transferred to desktop. Loving it so far.

Thanks for the explanation, Ill fetch my adaptor...

Mark