Basic hardware question

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Browncowtoe

Basic hardware question

Post by Browncowtoe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey everyone! I am very new to learning MIDI support and i have a question about a set up. So I just bought an Alesis Vortex Wireless Keytar controller. The Keytar itself doesn't have an amplifier cord jack (if thats what you call it). So I guess my main question would be, since i dont have a laptop to use for performances with midi support, what is my next step? Do i buy a Synthesizer that can plug into an amp? Do I need a separate keyboard to plug into an amp? Sorry for these dumb questions but I am brand new to this stuff.And if the above is true, could you give me some relatively cheap ($100-$175) synths/keyboards to get for it? Thanks so much!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Basic hardware question

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Well I asume that if your in an Auria forum you must have an ipad and AuriaPro. You don't have any audio cords on your keytar because it is a controller only and contains no sound. Your keytar controls midi widelessly to a dongle that connects to your usb port of your computer. It comes included with some synth sounds used via software as a vst plugin in a daw. You cannot use this plugin with your iPad. But your ketar also has regular usb connectivity. Either way you will need an apple camera connection kit for your iPad to connect to usb. If the keytar draws too much usb power from the iPad then you will also require a powered usb hub that plugs into an ac outlet. It may be possible that the iPad may recognize the usb dongle and you can use the keytar and your iPad wirlessly to control your midi. If you don't have an iPad and AuriaPro or any synth apps than you will need to spend some money on a hardware synth which depending on what you buy it could cost much more than your planned budget. A used iPad,iphone,ipod touch and a synth app can do the trick and pretty cheaply. Let me know what you have. Cheers and good luck