No Audio on Playback with Behringer X18 System

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

No Audio on Playback with Behringer X18 System

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:55 am

I'm using Auria Pro with an iPad Pro and a Behringer X18 mixer. This all set up really easily and almost everything is working. I see USB in the device indicator and there is meter activity when I arm a channel. Recording is fine, waveforms are produced.

The one thing I cannot figure out is why I have no audio on playback. Everything is set at the install defaults. Why can't I just hit play and get audio??

Mike
Last edited by ekimtoor1@gmail.com on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitzipado
Expert

Re: No Audio on Playback

Post by pitzipado » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 am

To get audio playback through the x18 I believe the channel inputs must be switched to
usb- I've not actually used mine for playback/mixing but I recall someone else having this
problem so give it a try and best wishes for sucess :D

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Re: No Audio on Playback with Behringer X18 System

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:14 pm

So, I set all the X18 inputs to USB, but still no audio on playback. In Reaper, I just set the outputs of the master channel to the X18. How is that done in Auria?

Can it be true that no one with Auria and an X18 has configured for playback? Has anyone configured with a CCK and an external device for playback? Anyone?

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:40 pm

I have found no way to route the master output from Auria through the CCK to an X18 input. I'm using the ipad headphone jack as a workaround. That at least lets me playback on my speakers.

The headphone jack is adding color, I'm sure. It's definitely adding noise, little teeny low level poppy sounds constantly in the background. I'd much rather be using the digital routes to get playback to the X18. Plus, I had to use two channels on the X18 for the headphone output.

I can switch between INT and USB by plugging/unplugging the CCK. I unplug to get playback and replug to get input.
This is a bad way to accomplish the switch, it will add much wear to the precious connector, I fear. Is there a way to force from INT to USB and back without resorting to unplugging/plugging?

Man. This is starting to seem like 5 steps backward.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:10 pm

ekimtoor1@gmail.com wrote:I have found no way to route the master output from Auria through the CCK to an X18 input. I'm using the ipad headphone jack as a workaround. That at least lets me playback on my speakers.

The headphone jack is adding color, I'm sure. I'd much rather be using the digital routes to get playback to the X18. Plus, I had to use two channels on the X18 for the headphone output.

I can switch between INT and USB by plugging/unplugging the CCK. I unplug to get playback and replug to get input.
This is a bad way to accomplish the switch, it will add much wear to the precious connector, I fear. Is there a way to force from INT to USB and back without resorting to unplugging/plugging?

Man. This is starting to seem like 5 steps backward.
I don't have my Xair with me to try but I did find this in the Auria Pro manual which seems like it should
work- if you haven't tried already....do let us know if you get it working it would be a handy thing to have
operational. Good luck!
Direct Outputs (Pro Only)
Added in Auria Pro 2.01, individual tracks can have their pre-fader output routed directly to an externally connected audio hardware’s output. This is useful whenever an individual track needs any form of external processing, like implementing a hardware compressor or EQ. It can also be used to allow mixing tracks for Auria Pro in an external mixer, i.e. mixing “outside the box”.
Enabling a track’s direct output can be done either from the individual track’s Output Selector or via the Output Matrix. Both mono and stereo tracks can use direct outs, though of course a stereo track requires two hardware output channels versus a mono track’s single output.

ekimtoor1@gmail.com

Post by ekimtoor1@gmail.com » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Found the reference in the manual, i'll work with it a bit. But you know...

I was instantly down with the idea of an iPad recording system, but actually trying to implement it, many shortcomings are rearing their heads. I spent a lot of money to put this together and none of it works elegantly or smoothly, aside from the app itself. Screwy CCK dongles, noisy headphone ports, incompletely documented Auria.

My Reaper system, on the other hand worked with the X18 out of the box like a champ in every way. Why am I farting around with this iPad system which will ultimately require me to jack the files around through the internet because the storage is full? Preparing to return it all. Not worth it.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Go to mix window channel strip tap "output" scroll down to "direct outputs" choose "out 1/2"
do this for each track you want to play back and see if that works.

mfstodda

Post by mfstodda » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:17 pm

I have the exact same setup and have been frustrated with this also. It seems so basic.

I ended up using the Audiobus app to playback a few prerecorded drum tracks from Auria and was able to multi-track record my band live while the drum tracks played. Everything seemed to be working fine until I got home to mix everything together. There was latency between the prerecorded tracks and live tracks. So I just moved the live multi-tracks of the band 0.1000 sec ahead by sliding each track in the timeline view and all worked out ok.

I really like the Auria effects, so easy to use and sound great. But so far, I can't figure out a solution to using it in a live situation with a 10-input band like mine.

I would like to be able to run all inputs into the behringer xr18 have it usb to Auria to apply the effects and then run the mixed signal back to the Behringer and out to our PA speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.