All in one interface for guitar, mic and midi keyboard?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lonelypunk
Expert

All in one interface for guitar, mic and midi keyboard?

Post by Lonelypunk » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:57 am

Hi can anyone recommend me an interface that I can have a guitar a mic and a midi keyboard running through at the same time please?

The only one I've found so far is the focusrite itrack dock but I don't like the look of it. It Looks like if you knock it over with your iPad attached the only thing holding them together is the lightning port so seems like a recipe for a broken socket to me so ideally I'd rather something that has a cable. I may end up getting it and an extension cable but just wondering if there's anything else worth considering?

Thanks!

supanorton
Expert

Re: All in one interface for guitar, mic and midi keyboard?

Post by supanorton » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:11 pm

People have been saying good things about these interfaces. See if one of them is for you.

http://www.iconnectivity.com

Lonelypunk
Expert

Post by Lonelypunk » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks mate but I'm after something that I can plug USB midi and guitar and mic into but that's just midi only.

I've done some more looking at interfaces and found a few potentials..

Presonus itwo

Steinburg 45840 ur22 mkii

They all have midi ins and outs and 2 channels.

Unlike the focusrite itrack dock with It's USB midi input they all have 5 pin midi sockets

Can anyone tell me please if using the midi in port on these I will be able to connect my akai lpk USB midi keyboard to iPad and auria? I'm hoping to have a mic in one channel guitar in the other and akai keyboard in the midi in socket all going to separate tracks in auria...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Just a note. All usb iOS audio interfaces allow for usb midi devices to work. Only if you need the older Midi Din plug will you need a midi audio interface. So any two channel usb only audio interface will work with your controller. I used a midi Nectar Panorama P4 connected to a focusrite 2i2 which has no midi din connectors. So you must use a powered multi input usb hub so that you can connect both the usb audio interface and any other midi device including midi controllers,drum machines, synths that operate on usb not midi din to your apple camera connection kit CCK. You can even get USB to Midi Din connector adaptors if you later get a synth with the older type midi connector. So you can have any usb audio device you desire using this method. Cheers and good luck.

P.S. For tech heads only!... No interface has midi not even a midi interface. These units do nothing but pass data through their ports wether USB or DIN. So audio units with usb will pass any data through that usb port in both directions and that includes midi data. What actually processes this data is the software program that is listening like AuriaPro. So some see the old midi din inputs and asume that that is a midi interface but rather it is simply a data input/output port that happens to connect to older synths. Hope that clears things up for thise shopping for an audio interface with midi capability. They all have midi data passthrough. Cheers

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Hey Lonelypunk--

Don't know if you're still looking due to the age of the post, but here I am anyways.

I've had the iTrack Dock since the summer of 2014 and L O V E it.

A truly useful, well-thought-out, and great sounding device.

After I got my iPad Pro last April, I bought a lightning extension cord so I can still use it since it's too big to reach the lightning pin. (And actually, its design saved my iPad Air from a table-drop--upside down--onto flagstone. There's enough pin wiggle with a direct attachment (the Air) to alleviate dangerous stress.)

My only damn issue is that it isn't compatible with my Arturia MINI keyboard. That's the only caveat: check Focusrite's keyboard compatibility list. Some are, and some ain't.

Nick

lkingston
Expert

Post by lkingston » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

If you're talking about using a MIDI keyboard to control a virtual synth through Auria, the Roland Duo Capture EX would work nicely. Two audio inputs with Direct Monitoring and MIDI in and out.