What is the best multichannel interface for Auria?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

theconnactic
Expert

What is the best multichannel interface for Auria?

Post by theconnactic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Which is the best multichannel interface with pro-grade quality I can currently buy for an Auria-centric recording studio? Yes, I know, iOS seems to limit us to 24-channels but that ceiling will do for now. I'm focusing on quality, pro-level quality. Unfortunately Apogee went all-in Thunderbolt, so the best USB options are the Duet (which I already have) and the Quartet (which tops four inputs, when I need at least twice to begin with).

Any advice would be truly appreciated.
Last edited by theconnactic on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theconnactic
Expert

Re: Which is the best multichannel interface for Auria

Post by theconnactic » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:08 pm

For example: is there a way for using the six additional dIgital inputs of the Quartet for recording six more simultaneous separate mics in Auria, if I have an appropriate A/D?

Corey W
Expert

Re: What is the best multichannel interface for Auria?

Post by Corey W » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:38 pm

You would probably be interested in these interfaces:

-Antelope ZenStudio and Orion

-Prism Sound Atlas and Titan

-Lynx Aurora

-RME Fireface UFX

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 pm

all interfaces are money JOKES
(i used many ....usb 2.of course) ONLY ONE is a WONDER ( autoset!) with AURIA :
BEHRINGER Xr 18
with wifi remote X air on the same ipad ( or pc or phone...any number of remotes !!!)
it has ALL ( tracks settings , effects, ) is SAFE ( on /off the rack OPENS 18 vu meter tracks in Auria matrix in for ease)
then you create in AURIA any matching number of tracks, 18 can RECORD in real time, PLUS mixing your playback
you must keep BEHRINGER 16 tracks OUT (any) and set 2 tracks for AURIA MASTER return ( aux ins set to USB)
then match AURIA matrix out to Behringer :( any) track set directly to USB in (instead of analog In)
NOTHING can compare on that EASYù, POWERFUL TEAM....

First time ipad remote requires some wifi intelligency...Help welcome for beginners
learning curve is FAST ,use is...lightning fast !
tip
you need new apple CAMERA adapter (USB3)to lightning : iPAD is playing AND charging
ALL IAA APPS Do match BEHRINGER USB in/out
Midi keyboard connected directly to behringer rack,NO LATENCY …
and Auria midi tracks DO play/"rec inside AND OUTSIDE ipad synthes
( check midi setting page and auria mixer : each midi tracks routing in/out)
midi tracks can LAYER their Lyra sound PLUS outside IAA/ racks sounds

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:10 pm

if you don't use midi...
the Behringer usb2 SIMPLE interface (30 €!!!) works FINE in stereo only on ipad as well on pc !!!
Behringer iStudio ( charging ipad) is the BEST stereo in / out interface ( auria can rec 48 tracks...but only TWO :AT ONCE, with balance of ipad playback return, alim phantom (2,mikes) ,guitar impedance match on one input, and RIAA in for turntable
if needing SDIF in/out:.KOMPLETE audio 6 sounds wonder, ( 6 tracks recording at once on...Auria illimited)
if needing ADAT in/out PRESONUS VSL 16/16 but.... check firmware !(boring for beginners)

ALL need for charging iPad AND PLAY:.NEW apple camera adapter USB3 to ligthning (adapter plug in is USB2 don't worry!)
YOU must ONLY think about HOW MANY TRACKS NEED access for LIVE RECORDING AT ONCE : Auria gets it "illimited"
AND remember how MIDI keyboards ( usb?midi? bluetooth) can acess to ipad
interface without midi access or keyboards using usb 2 midi out can ADD at ipad imput a HUB USB2 ( no alim needed: pandora anitech WHITE), NO LATENCY !

be carefull:.ONLY BEHRINGER RACK xr18 CAN be used for USB multitrack recording , not 12/14/16,: Not usb2
and for NORMAL users NOT behringer rack 32.( only for Studio Pro engineers !!!)

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 pm

i forgot
i studio behringer (90€?) CAN use 8 Battery... the only pro set to be used SAFE and outdoor

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Thank you for your input, @Corey W and @mididrum!

I'm on the fence between getting a Prism Titan - the need of a computer for setting it up is a turn off, though - or upgrading to an Apogee Quartet and adding an ADAT-compatible external multi-channel pre amp (any directions?) for a more iOS friendly yet professional level set up.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:43 am

Hello there. Figured I'd chime in here.

So, what I'm using Auria Pro for is to track 16 tracks of drums simultaneously at 96K. I'd prefer physical knobs rather than menus for gain control for each channel, no reliance on a computer and quality has to be great. Here's what I've used so far:

I used a Zen Studio (am now selling it) since I didn't like how I had to connect it to a computer to do some setup with it. Also, the gain segments - it only allows 0-10, 11,12, 13 db ,etc. Theres a gap from 1-9 that I wasn't fond of which became pretty critical for tracking drums since using a channel pad isn't the best either. The pre's sound great, yeah and the amount of inputs are amazing for one solid box! But overall, it didn't work for me. Still a great unit, just not for me.

I also used the RME UFX. Great sounding unit but only 4 pre's. A good amount of inputs available. Menu was a bit difficult to figure out though.

Also, the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC 1820 but needed more channels.

What I'm using now is: a Motu 1248 for 4 on-board inputs with an Audient ASP 880 connected over a DB25 to TRS cable which gives me 12 channels (4 on the Motu, 8 on the Audient) and then via ADAT from the Motu to a Focusrite OctoPre for the last 4 channels. It all seems to work well with my 128GB iPad Pro.

I'm waiting for the day when a mixer does all this in one unit direct to an iPad. Hope this helps.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:08 am

Interesting: if I understood correctly, the A/D is done by the Motu (for its own 4 pres and the 8 pres from the Audient that are sent to the Motu via a snake cable) and also by the Focusrite (for its own 4 pres, whose outs are digitally sent to the Motu via ADAT). How it compares to Apogee's A/D?

I am still leaning to a Quartet, mostly because I trust Apogee and want made for iPad gear, and I seldom record drums with more than 12 mics (tbh, 10 mics cover 90% of the cases for me). What bugs me is what would be the companion pre/converter, because 1) the Quartet must be the master clock and 2) the A/D of the additional 8 input gear must be at near as good.

These new Apogee Element series interfaces could be a choice: there is one with 8 pres and all of them has digital outs. Can they be used in standalone mode? I know, I must ask Apogee, and I did, but they are slow to answer, as always.

Thank you for the input!

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 am

P.S.: bummer: the Apogee Element interfaces can be used in standalone mode, but they must be configured with a Thunderbolt compatible computer. :(

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 am

P.P.S.: the setup you are using seems really to be the answer for my needs, drock, because it's the only one that would allow me to record more than 8 drums at 96khz - the ADAT/SMUX in the Quartet would allow a ceiling of 12, but only a 48khz! Thank you very much indeed for the advice!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:56 am

Hey, sure, no problem! Glad to help. I've just spent so much time (and money) trying to figure out how to do this with no computer, these many channels all at 96K and all directly to the iPad. So,definitely not the norm these days....so I'm learning as I sort of blaze my own trail here. Its been a little frustrating so far since I'll set my hopes on a certain piece of gear, get it and then realize that it doesn't work exactly for me and no one told me these kind of details about it ahead of time. So, I send it back or sell it. Yeah, its been a tad disappointing BUT I'm learning and its all good. So these are the pieces of gear I've experimented with and it all seems good so far.

I also have an Apogee Duet for iPad and what little use I had with it, I can say it worked and sounded great. And don't get too hung up if something isn't "Made For iPad" cuz trust me, the pre qualities of the Motu 1248, Audient ASP 800 (and even the OctoPre) are LEGIT. Read the reviews on Sweetwater or anywhere else too. The thing is, generally, when you spend a certain amount of money on something, its quality is gonna be great.

And also, if you get this same setup, get as much used from eBay (or demo from authorized dealer), thats what I did cuz this stuff new really gets pricey.

jduvick

Post by jduvick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 am

I can concur with mididrum that the Behri X18-air is pretty close to the ideal interface for 16 track recording to an iPad/Auria setup. At least this is my early assessment, based on recent experimentation. The more so if you are tracking a live performance which I'm planning to do soon. Configure the X18's aux input to accept USB on channels 1-2 and boom you have super low latency monitor/playback of your mix from the X18.

I am using separate iPad tablets to control inputs (via WiFi to the X18) vs. record outputs (with Auria), but you can use a single iPad to do both as well. My ancient iPad 2 works fine as a controller. Also if you don't care for the X18's preamps just use your favorite multichannel or single preamp channels in at line level.

One caution: Any audio changes on the iPad (like plugging in an earbud or setting up a new mix) will often pre-empt the USB connection and you won't see all inputs mapped correctly on Auria. At that point and you wil need to reset by unplug/plug in the USB. It pays to check often to make sure the connection isn't lost, as this could lead to regrets.

Chollus

Post by Chollus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:26 am

Hi everyone, ( first of all, sorry for my english)

I ve just been reading few of your posts and the way you think your set up is very clever, and so , if you have a bit of time, could you help me to resolve this problem on my config...?

Ipad air 2
Auria pro

Audient id22 (in and out optical spdif / adat)
Asp 880 (octo pre with adar, aes and spdif out)

Focusrite 18i20 (interface 18 in, 20 out / 8 analog, 8 adat, 2 spdif)
Focusrite oktopre mk2 (adat out)

So this is what i got...
My main goal would be to have more than 10 inputs given by id22+asp880.
Is it possible to have some extra in from the oktopre, or can you figure some others solutions with The 18i20...
Obviously i would like to keep pres and converters from the audient gear...

Thanks a lot for helping me.....

Nicolas