Zoom R8 as an audio control surface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Borjazz

Zoom R8 as an audio control surface

Post by Borjazz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi!,
My Zoom R8 USB interface can record in Auria in mono or stereo. It has two inputs.
With the new update to Auria (2.05) I've seen that a Mackie Logic protocol has been added in the midi settings.
This is the protocol I use to control Logic on my Mac with the Zoom.
In my iPad Pro 12.9, I'm unable to use it as a control surface. It produces midi notes when I play the transport buttons, or some other buttons.
Is there any plan in the future to make it compatible or has someone managed how to do it?
Thanks!

Borjazz

Re: Zoom R8 as an audio control surface

Post by Borjazz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I'll reply to myself:
In order to use the zoom R8 with transport controls, all I had to do was to select Receive Remote and Send Remote tabs in Auria's Midi Settings. The protocol is not the Mackie Logic, is Mackie MCU. This allows to use play, stop, Rec, Rew and FF. Also it allows me to use the track and master faders and solo/mute buttons. No luck with the Zoom's wheel to move around the locations.
Hope it helped someone!

Kites
Expert

Re: Zoom R8 as an audio control surface

Post by Kites » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:02 am

Interesting, I'm tracking into Auria Pro with my Zoom R16 but, I'm aggregating it with two other interface with my desktop.

Can we finally go directly from our Zooms to an iPad now via CCK?! And the MCU is icing in top if true.
Thanks for this :)