Best Cheap Multi Track Interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Best Cheap Multi Track Interface

Post by Bob Amser » Thu May 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi,

I have a decent mixer and would like to be able to multitrack record. Minimum is two inputs (I would use for L and R). Ideal would be 12. Good compromise would be four (would do stereo pair and a focus of two)

Looking at less than £100. Is there anything out there?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Best Cheap Multi Track Interface

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 am

Hi Bob, you might want to look into the Focusrite 6i6 or 8i8 or even the 2i4. There really isn't much in that price range that is multi input. Most common are 8 channels and they are well above that price. M audio makes a model similar. Your not going to get too much audio quality for that many channel inputs but they are adequate. So Focusrite and even Art have 8 channels in. You could start with that and sum those into stereo busses on your board and sent to Auria. Cheers Bob

Asensory

Post by Asensory » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:25 pm

This is what I would love to see:

6 1/4-inch inputs (as 3 stereo pairs to connect 3 external devices)
4 RCA inputs (to connect 2 external devices)
USB (at least 1)
Phones out (1 or 2)
1/4-inch Main out (x 2 for stereo out)
RCA Main out (L&R)
SPDIF in/out

Not required are multiple XLR connects
Any variation of something like this for under $300 USD would be brilliant.

I have a couple external devices (as we all do) like Octatrack, Korg EMX and a synth (RADIAS) that I would like to occasionally connect to the ipad.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:04 am

Hmmmmm, the Scarlett 18i8 looks like my baby. Now to find the dosh... Thanks for the input.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:23 am

Bob Amser wrote:Hmmmmm, the Scarlett 18i8 looks like my baby. Now to find the dosh... Thanks for the input.
Focusrite just announced 2nd generation Scarlett series, which have less latency and redesigned instrument inputs that handle hot guitar pickups better than the first generation. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

https://us.focusrite.com/scarlett-range

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Bob Amser wrote:Hmmmmm, the Scarlett 18i8 looks like my baby. Now to find the dosh... Thanks for the input.
Not sure where you're located, but Reverb.com is having a pretty good sale on the Scarlett series. These look to be the first generation versions.

https://reverb.com/item/478233-focusrit ... d-52808461

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:02 am

One relevant answer to your original question should be a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD
Price ok-100, input channels ok. Build quality is ok. Analog-digital skills also. (24bit/192khz - all channel full duplex)
The 404HD using as Auria interface has some advantages. It has own 5v AC in, so you can use external adaptor or battery pack (5V-1A). And You have MIDI IN-OUT too!
This is useful with iPad and Auria Pro.
I have Zoom H6 as mobile recording device paired with my Air2-Auria but at home i use a behringer 204HD as cheap audio-midi interface with my pc.
Symmetrical outs to my Sudio monitors and useable headphone preamp to drive my Beyer DT990/770Pro.
Far better, stronger and noise free, unlike most mainboard audio.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 am

Auratech wrote:...The 404HD using as Auria interface has some advantages. It has own 5v AC in, so you can use external adaptor or battery pack (5V-1A). And You have MIDI IN-OUT too!...
Mmm. That's interesting. Is external 5VDC power required or can the unit be bus powered (USB) only? Sorry to interrupt with trivial questions but I've tried searching for a full 404yHD User Guide pdf - and failed :oops:

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 am

Washboy wrote:
Auratech wrote:...The 404HD using as Auria interface has some advantages. It has own 5v AC in, so you can use external adaptor or battery pack (5V-1A). And You have MIDI IN-OUT too!...
Mmm. That's interesting. Is external 5VDC power required or can the unit be bus powered (USB) only? Sorry to interrupt with trivial questions but I've tried searching for a full 404yHD User Guide pdf - and failed :oops:
404HD works with external power too. If you connect an external powered, working 404HD to an iPad, you can connect and use as audio interface. 4-in-2 out.
Attachments
bus.jpg
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:37 pm

@Auratech : Ah! Thanks for that info. Bus-power or external means max flexibility. I'm tempted :wink:

dickiefunk
Expert

Post by dickiefunk » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:46 pm

Does this mean you don't need a separate powered USB hub to use the 404HD? Can I use it just with the camera kit adapter?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:03 pm

dickiefunk wrote:Does this mean you don't need a separate powered USB hub to use the 404HD? Can I use it just with the camera kit adapter?
My assumption is that a powered hub will be needed unless you use the external PSU as well.

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Washboy wrote:
dickiefunk wrote:Does this mean you don't need a separate powered USB hub to use the 404HD? Can I use it just with the camera kit adapter?
My assumption is that a powered hub will be needed unless you use the external PSU as well.
The switching sequence is the key. First plug the psu to 404HD and after the camera kit-iPad without powered usb hub.