Charging the iPad during recordings

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mitfi

Charging the iPad during recordings

Post by mitfi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 am

Dear all,

following this week's Apple keynote, they released a new "Lightning to USB 3 camera adaptor",
featuring a parallel USB and lightning connector for charging purposes.

This means that the days of risky recording sessions when using audio/midi interfaces that require the USB camera adaptor without charging are over.

This feature is expressly mentioned by Apple on their homepage.

Happy recordings :)

Michael

Ohmnoise
Expert

Re: Charging the iPad during recordings

Post by Ohmnoise » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 am

Yeah not more bounded on the MfI devices

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2 ... r?fnode=37
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

lenningsen

Post by lenningsen » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:56 am

Do you think that this adaptor will also charge a USB-powered audiointerface itself?

mitfi

Post by mitfi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 pm

lenningsen wrote:Do you think that this adaptor will also charge a USB-powered audiointerface itself?
Well, maybe but I doubt, however, I don't have a proper interface to check that out (using Behringer X18, works great).

Michael

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:42 am

iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

gamick

Post by gamick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:19 pm

Has anyone had success with the powered USB adaptor yet? I just tried it out last night with Auria Pro on my iPad Air 2 and my Audiobox 1818VSL. Although Auria showed a USB connection and I was able to see the input meters moving, (and my iPad was charging) I couldn't get any output back through the Audiobox, either through the main outs or the headphones. I played around with the Output Matrix, but couldn't make it work.

But as soon as I switched to the old non-powered USB to Lightning adaptor, everything worked as it should. It was pretty disappointing (especially since my iPad was already at 15% battery), so I had to cut my session short. Just wondering if anyone has used the power adaptor successfully with Auria Pro.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:38 pm

For anyone interested the 'Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor' works well with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB interface allowing full charging of my IPad Pro during recording. At last I don't have to worry about the IPad Pro running out of power during long recording sessions.

Please note:- As with the standard 'Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit' there is still a need for a couple of workarounds to clear a latency / connection problem with the Focusrite 18i8 until this issue is resolved by Apple.

Trevor
Last edited by Morgan on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

so and so with the korg nanokontrol studio

Post by stromberg-carlson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:10 pm

with this controller its been hit and miss. sometimes the ipad pro recognizes the controller, but most of the time it has not. i am using the usb to c lightning cable with 29w mac wall wart.

JosephDignamMusic
Expert

Post by JosephDignamMusic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:59 am

Hi All,

Gave up some time ago on this but (I know ive woken up!) this issue seems to be resolved... Has anyone tried it with the Focusrite 18i20? Have to assume it will be fine but if anyone knows anything different let me know before I push the button :)

thanks!