Compatibility with Focusrite 18i8 lost?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

GuntharBecker
Expert

Re: Compatibility with Focusrite 18i8 lost?

Post by GuntharBecker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Updated to 9.3 today.

Evidently Apple hasn't addressed the issue because I'm still having the latency issue with all iOS apps.

Can anyone else on here confirm?
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:19 pm

GuntharBecker wrote: Can anyone else on here confirm?

I'll update tomorrow and make the test... I'll post the result

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:46 am

I installed the 9.3 update.
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and a iPad Air 2 + Cubasis / Auria Pro / AUM / almost all audio apps there are.
The problem persists!!

The only diference now is, it works better without lots of latency in 96khz sample rates. But in Cubasis is where it doesn't work well or don't work at all.

Anyway. The problem is not solved.
At least in my side.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Cyril777 wrote:
GuntharBecker wrote: Can anyone else on here confirm?

I'll update tomorrow and make the test... I'll post the result

First time I quote myself... anyway,
I finally had the time to update my devices to 9.3 and, no suspens no (good) surprises, I've got the same situation, with a slight change, but it's still excruciating.
I still got no problems when my Scarlett is plugged to my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air 1, but with my iPad Pro, the latency appears as soon as I switch from an app to another. The first app opened causes no problems, whether it's a daw like BM2 and Auria, a synth app or a drum app. And another situation stays the same : using Audiobus or AUM, even when it's the first app (after opening / rebooting the iPad), is impossible, latency garanty and possible high "buzzing" sound.
The only thing that has changed is that I don't need to reboot my iPad Pro or the Scarlett to get ridd of the latency (when it has appeared). Now, I just need to put my iPad on stand by during 5''(with the button on the slide of the iPad), after shutting all apps of course, and after that, the first app I launch will be "latency free".
But that changes nothing of course, I'm still pissed off, and I still can't understand why nothing has been done to solve this crucial issue (it's all but a "minor bug"...)... it's just intolerable ! I don't know if there's a tread on the Focusrite forum, I don't even want to check, but.... pffff , I'm done for the day, I must think to something else....
Good luck to you all !

EssexGooner
Expert

Post by EssexGooner » Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 am

I have just upgraded to iOS 9.3.2 and the latency problems seem to have finally been addressed by Apple.

I can cautiously say that it all seems to be working fine and I can finally stop turning things on and off and plugging something in and out of the headphone socket everytime I load a new song on AuriaPro or other app.

About time.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri May 20, 2016 2:39 am

Yes indeed. All is looking good with the 18i8 at long last. Only taken Apple six months.

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Finally here is all good too! Ipad 4 ; ipad air 2... All running without latency.
I wish now, just curiosity, what kind of code was messed up.

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 am

Hi,
before I write my feedbacks after upgrading to iOS 9.3.2 on my iPad Pro, I would like to ask to the users who posted above, relating a positive experience, if they use a powered USB hub in their configuration, or if their iPad is plugged straight to the Focusrite
And a subsidiary question would be to know what is your configuration of the Scarlett MixControl application.

You probably have guessed that my experience is not positive, but before I describe all the tests I did, I'd like to have your answers on this.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sun May 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Cyril777 in answer to your questions I use either a Lightning to USB Camera Connection Kit or my most recent purchase a Lightning to USB3 adaptor lead which enables me to charge the IPad while in use. The 18i8 plugs straight into the USB socket of either of the two adaptor leads. It's not necessary to use a powered USB hub as the 18i8 has its own PSU. I have hopefully attached my Scarlett Mix Control settings which may or may not be of use to you but it works for me. The only downside of the 18i8 mix control is having to set it up via a PC connection then saving the settings to the hardware. The level controls of the first two inputs 1&2 are set at zero because I use these inputs for Guitar and Bass and don't want to hear the mixed zero latency source from the 18i8 but just the output from the two IAA apps I use which are TONESTACK and AMPLITUBE. Inputs 3&4 are Mic inputs and 5&6 and 7&8 are keyboard and electronic drums Line inputs. I set the buffer in Auria as low I can get away with, normally 128 which works fine. The MIDI is connected from my Roland RD300 keyboard to the Focusrite 18i8 in the normal way. I am using the large screen IPad Pro with latest IOS 9.3.2 and it's running very nicely with no latency issues and now don't have to use the workarounds of unpluging and repluging USB connector or plugging a headset in and out of the iPad Audio out socket. My setup is quite basic with no complicated routings. With the exception of a minor MIDI bug which I have reported to RIM (see bug reports) the system works very well for me. Hope this helps. Trevor

Edited 23/05/2016
Attachments
image.jpeg

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 am

Morgan wrote: The 18i8 plugs straight into the USB socket of either of the two adaptor leads. It's not necessary to use a powered USB hub as the 18i8 has its own PSU.
Thank you for your answer. It took me a time to answer you but I needed to made other tests in order to ask for the right questions. It seems you don't use midi gears which must be plugged in USB. That's my problem. If my midi controller had midi din connectors, I would but a midi USB / splitter and plug it to the midi din port of my Scarlett. So that's why I used a powered USB hub as "the center" of my configuration, all my gears were plugged on it, and it worked.
But since iOS 9.3.2 and the correction of the latency issue, my test show that the latency issue (and other annoying little bugs) is gone, as long as the Scarlett is plugged directly to the iPad, with its USB connection. Like this, everything works, and this nasty latency issue never came back.
But if I use my old configuration (which worked fine before all this mess), it's not as bad as before the last iOS update but it's not definitely solved. The latency comes back (no so often as before but still...) as soon as I use Audiobus.
So now I must find a solution to be able to use my midi controllers, all in USB, without using a USB hub, or at least without breaking the direct connection between my Scarlett and my iPad Pro.
Best regards.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 am

I'm unfamiliar with your Midi Gears interface but it might be interesting to check the buffer size indicated in Auria (i.e. settings, buffer size) if you have not already done this as this can be influenced by connected devices and Apps and can significantly effect latency. It can be manually adjusted downwards in most cases. I generally have this set to 128 to minimise latency when recording and monitoring effects outputs. It is of course a bit of a balancing act against CPU usage. Incidentally I'm not sure if you have considered a USB/DIN converter for your MiDI interface. Just a thought. Hope you sort it. Take care. Trevor

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am

Morgan wrote:Incidentally I'm not sure if you have considered a USB/DIN converter for your MiDI interface.
I can be sometimes confusing and not very clear when writing about technical issues in English. But when I speak about the midi gears I want to use in my configuration, it's just 3 basic midi keyboard, the most basic ones. It's just that, like a lot of recent midi controller or keyboard, there use USB instead of classic din for connection. It is kind obvious since these types of midi controller are meant to be use with laptops. Even with iPad, USB is the most convenient choice, because of the CCK. But when the Lightning port of your iPad is used to plug your audio interface, things change a little bit.
Some audio interface, like my Apogee Duet, has a USB port, allowing to plug one midi keyboard. Which is very cool, but as it is meant to be very straightforward, you can't use this USB port to plug a hub, in order to connect more than one midi keyboard, it's not recognized.
So, with the Scarlett, no USB port (USB A), but instead, 2 midi din ports, IN and OUT. So when you speak of a USB / DIN converter, it's exactly what I need, but rather a DIN / USB (B) one. A device which I could plug in the midi out port of the Scarlett, and which would provide a few USB (B) ports to plug my midi keyboards. But so far, this device exist only in my dreams, because when I google DIN / USB adapter, you've got plenty, but in these case, the midi is not involved, the DIN format is used because it can be plugged in cars....
I posted a few messages explaining my need on some forums (Ausiobus, Focusrite), I hope I will find the device of my dreams.... I can't believe it doesn't exist, someone should have thought of a device of that kind...
Good day, best regards

arco
Expert

Post by arco » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Are you aware of any of these?
(Not sure if these will solve your problems.)

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml
If I read it correctly, it converts from USB to midi DIN (expensive if you have to purchase one for each keyboard).

They also have a midi merge device (which were standard in the 80s so perhaps you might find one on eBay).
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... rge4.shtml
Also some keyboards have a merge (DIN) built-in.

And there are these products:
http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi

I have not used any of these (yet).

psykopili

Post by psykopili » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:21 am

For some reason, my Focusrite 18i8 doesn't communicate with Auria anymore. Three days ago I was recording my stuff, took a break during which the iPad Air went into sleep and when I came back, the link between Focusrite and Auria had been lost.

Since then, I have tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation. Booted devices, went through Auria's and the interface's settings, reinstalled Auria. Nothing works. I don't see how it could be cable-related since they worked fine. This is very annoying.

Help, please?

arco
Expert

Post by arco » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Some ideas:
Have you checked your Focusrite is working correctly with a computer, test it records and the Focusrite Mixcontrol is talking to the interface? Is there an iPad firmware patch to load in to it? (mine is a different model, but from time to time I have to send to it again). Does it have a hard reset procedure?
When you test the interface in Auria, do you make a New song? (I was thinking the old one might be corrupt because of the crash and for some really odd reason, you cannot record with it).
I would try another uninstall of Auria, turn iPad completely off, turn on again, install (just to be sure there are no remnants of it when you download again).

Otherwise can you go to a store and see if another (or the same) audio interface works?
If not, perhaps the arduous job of a complete backup, resetting iPad to nothing and reinstalling everything (or at least Auria to see if it works).
psykopili wrote:For some reason, my Focusrite 18i8 doesn't communicate with Auria anymore... I have tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation. Booted devices, went through Auria's and the interface's settings, reinstalled Auria.