Apogee Duet question

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Struggle

Apogee Duet question

Post by Struggle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi there, first post! I've been saving up for a mbp to to do mostly 2 track recordings of synths and drum machines sequenced by my Cirklon and also add some field recordings to the mix. I stumbled across the Auria app and this forum and decided to give it a try. My iPad Air will be here this week and I'll probably be getting a Duet soon as my UI.

I would like to know if Auria will receive MTC via usb from my Cirklon through the midi USB port on the duet. It seems in theory that it should, but I can't find much info anywhere and what I have found is pretty vague and only mentions keyboards.

Any duet users had success with this? Probably not a deal breaker on the Duet, but it sure would be nice.

Thanks!

Phil999
Expert

Re: Apogee Duet question

Post by Phil999 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:49 pm

my guess is that it will work.

I was surprised that Auria locks to MTC even over wifi. It takes one or two seconds, but then it locks perfectly.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Phil999 wrote:my guess is that it will work.

I was surprised that Auria locks to MTC even over wifi. It takes one or two seconds, but then it locks perfectly.
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing it will too, but wish there was more info out there about what the Duet's capable of as far as midi goes.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Well I finally got a chance to mess around with it and so far the answer is no.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:07 pm

does the Circlon sequencer send MTC (MIDI Time Code)? Or is it MIDI clock?

Either way, this shouldn't be a problem with the right settings.

Struggle

Post by Struggle » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Phil999 wrote:does the Circlon sequencer send MTC (MIDI Time Code)? Or is it MIDI clock?

Either way, this shouldn't be a problem with the right settings.
It can transmit both. I've fiddled with it a bit more, made sure the SMPTE times are the same and tried it both ways (master/slave) with no results. The only notable thing that happens is when I turn the External Sync on it distorts the sound badly. I've never used the USB port on the Cirklon before, but it seems to be straight forward.

I'll keep at it 8)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm

very strange. In that case I'm sorry that I can't help you anymore because I don't have a Circlon sequencer to try it out myself. The only thing I can advise is to consult Circlon developers. There must be something wrong.