Behringer XR18 - Auria - iPad Air 2

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rave2rave

Behringer XR18 - Auria - iPad Air 2

Post by rave2rave » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:44 am

I have just bought a Behringer XR18 and a powered hub, although I'm lead to believe that the hub isn't needed with the XR18.I would like to know if the latest iPad Air 2, running Auria is going to be a set up that is actually going to work properly, before I go go to the expense and buy one. I seem to hearing mixed results.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

topper-hardy

Re: Behringer XR18 - Auria - iPad Air 2

Post by topper-hardy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:22 pm

I am using an iPad Air 2, 128 GB and Behringer X Air XR18 with no issues whatsoever.
Oh, and I don't use a powered hub.

Kind regards,

Topper-Hardy

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Do you have to have the XR18 and up in order to get multi track recordings. I wanted the XR12 but if i cant record a drum set i have to spend the money.

rave2rave

Post by rave2rave » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Many thanks Topper Hardy.

rave2rave

Post by rave2rave » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:10 am

Well I went out and bought an iPad Air 2 128gb, and unfortunately there's a recording issue. It will record and playback but there's a static crackle on any recording I do. I have changed settings of latency to 4096 and disabled USB soft start but no difference
Any thoughts would be appreciated

topper-hardy

Post by topper-hardy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:51 am

Hi rave2rave,

sorry for the late reply.
Just make sure you have the same sample rate settings in the XR18 and your Auria project.
Had the same issue and it drove me mad until I figured it out.

In the XR18 you'll find the settings in Setup\Audio\Midi; in Auria when starting a new project.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:31 pm

and...settings for no latency DO work using 128 samples buffer....

Good trick if using monitor on at recording : in matrix out close (off) Bus 1 access to Master
then...set recording track on the mixer screen to...bus 1. After recording set track back to...any bus excluding 1 (!)
so get NO double monitoring nor feedback possible...(digital feedback manytimes can crash Auria matrix IN !)

Any reported static troubles come from sync out drops, so Behringer DOES NOT DROP but ....usually AURIA use to advertise or not work nor opening at all with 44/48 k not matching sync projects.
Using ipad background ( or inserted),ANOTHER app with different sync could produce that trouble, as well as any OTHER digital hardware Audio linked left with its INS waiting for "external sync" but.connected to none....
Korg synthesizer or any stuff having in /out sdif CAN do it from wrong settings....
X18 having NO digital connector cannot cause that.

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:41 pm

i forgot ....
ANY DIGITAL OVERLOAD on the sound processing path will CLIP producing clicks
so DO monitor Auria apps VST inserts for NO OVERLOAD no where
FREEZE tracks that could overload ipad processor ( check its metering on auria screen)
USING TOO SHORT ( or too BIG !) buffer can ALSO do it : so record at 126/260 buffer then mixing with 524 HELPS
CLOSE / bypass any IAA insert NOT NEEDED...
AND USE...IPAD AIR 2 for its powerful processor....

JaggedJimmy

Post by JaggedJimmy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 am

topper-hardy wrote:Hi rave2rave,

sorry for the late reply.
Just make sure you have the same sample rate settings in the XR18 and your Auria project.
Had the same issue and it drove me mad until I figured it out.

In the XR18 you'll find the settings in Setup\Audio\Midi; in Auria when starting a new project.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Thanks to topper-hardy for posting this! My hair has been going grey since my recent XR18 purchase paired with Auria on my iPad. Originally I was running Auria on my iPad Gen4, and could not get past this crackle Pop issue via USB. Needed a new iPad anyway, so Ordered up an iPad Air2. Upon arrival, I Plugged in, synced up and same Crackle Pop issue via usb, Only to find this post, which solved my issue immediately, so thanks for that stress relief.

Folks, those of you experiencing the same crackle pop noise issue when trying to record multiple tracks via USB from the Behringer XR18, be advised that the default sample rate settings for the XR18 are set to 48K (Setup>Audio/MIDI) . So if you are creating a new Project in Auria, using Auria's default Sample Rate of 44.1K, you will experience this noise, no matter how new your iPad is :lol: So with that said, I'll reiterate what Topper-Hardy mentioned in his earlier post, Make sure your sample rates match in both the XR18 and the project you have queued up in Auria to eliminate this noise issue!

crony

Post by crony » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 pm

the default sample rate settings for the XR18 are set to 48K
In a different context, but with an Ipad Pro and a Berhinger QX1222 USB, I had these ugly artifacts...
Except that you can't change that on this mixtable...
And it just being said in the techs specs deep into the manual !!!!
I would never thought about this if I didn't saw you message...
Crackles are gone...So happy !!!! :)

Thank you so much JaggedJimmy !
Love that internet thing...Makes me think I'm smart...