Which Interface is best for voiceovers?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mermaid

Which Interface is best for voiceovers?

Post by Mermaid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 am

Hi there!
Sorry to bother you - I know there are already a lot of posts about interfaces but since I just found out, that I've recently bought the wrong stuff I wanna be really sure what I need before I go back to the store and yell at the guy who sold me the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and told me it would definitely work with my IPad...!
I need to make professional recordings for Voice overs - no music, no instruments - just Voice overs (one mic), but those in really good quality.
Would the Focusrite Itrack solo be sufficient for that? Or would you recommend something else? Don't wanna spend too much money...
And is there a difference between the Itrack solo and the Itrack solo Lightning or is that the same stuff? And would both work with Auria and IPad?

Thanks for your time! : )

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Which Interface is best for voiceovers?

Post by dominicperry » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 am

I recommend the Apogee One for iPad if you only need one input. Make sure you get the iPad version not the older version which won't work with iPad at all (old one is plastic and smaller).

The Focusrite iTrack Solo will also do - which version you need to buy depends on which iPad you have. If you have a lightning connector on your iPad, you need the lightning version of the interface (the alternative is a 30 pin connector). The interface is probably exactly the same - it's just the cable you get with it which is different.

Dominic

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:49 am

dominicperry wrote:I recommend the Apogee One for iPad if you only need one input. Make sure you get the iPad version not the older version which won't work with iPad at all (old one is plastic and smaller).

The Focusrite iTrack Solo will also do - which version you need to buy depends on which iPad you have. If you have a lightning connector on your iPad, you need the lightning version of the interface (the alternative is a 30 pin connector). The interface is probably exactly the same - it's just the cable you get with it which is different.

Dominic
I use the older plastic Apogee One with Ipad 3, Ipad Air 2, Iphone 4s.

You need a powered USB hub and a CC-kit or the USB-lightning camera adapter to connect it. Garage Band can be used to change input between the internal mic, external 48V powered or not powered mic, and the instrument input. The setting "sticks" (is stored in the One) so GB is just needed once if you don't plan to change input.

I just bought the Roland duo ex that gives two channels of recording. The great thing with it is that it can be used as a mixer without any computer or Ipad attached. No USB hub is needed, and it also works with batteries for mobility. The headphone output is weak, so you may need an additional phones-amplifier for direct monitoring. Though monitoring non-directly probably works fine as the Apogee One does, I guess.

The newer Apogee one provides two inputs, battery operation, no USB hub needed, and a lightning cable. Though the price level may want you to compare options. Such as the Lewitt I read a review about in the October 2015 SoS magazine:

"To call the Lewitt DGT 650 ‘just’ a USB mic would be rather understating the case. What you get is actually a stereo X-Y mic that also functions as a full-scale 24-bit, 96kHz audio interface. The software driver supports ASIO for Windows, Core Audio for Mac OS X, and also works with iOS devices (via a Lightning connector).

The mic can take power from USB, or it can run for around three hours using its own built-in lithium-ion battery in situations where USB power is not available. The circuitry includes a two-channel mic/line preamp with switchable high-pass filter and two pad options, and it also includes a standard MIDI input. A large hexagonally perforated steel grille protects the mic..."
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:05 am

I have both kinds of One although I don't use the older one with my iPad

I bought the Lewitt and returned it - it doesn't charge the iPad when using it, and it had a few odd glitches in the firmware - which doesn't appear to be updatable. It did sound very nice though and much better in every way than the Blue Spark Digital which I stripped the mounting thread of, on the first day I had it, and it overloaded at the slightest provocation. Always been disappointed by Blue products but the Lewitt was a shame, I really wanted to keep it but it was too buggy.

The Apogee One is great, my only real criticism is the breakout cables. Headphone volume is excellent and you can mix software return and mic in an easy way. My general criticism is that I prefer 'real' controls- but only the Sound Devices UsbPre2 has that, and that doesn't power the iPad and also needs its own complex powering arrangement. The One is the best compromise I've found so far.

Dominic

Mermaid

Post by Mermaid » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 am

Thank you for your input!
Meanwhile I bought the focusrite Itrack - Hope this will work! : )

Thanks for your time! : )

Mugger

Post by Mugger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 am

dominicperry wrote:I have both kinds of One although I don't use the older one with my iPad

I bought the Lewitt and returned it - it doesn't charge the iPad when using it, and it had a few odd glitches in the firmware - which doesn't appear to be updatable. It did sound very nice though and much better in every way than the Blue Spark Digital which I stripped the mounting thread of, on the first day I had it, and it overloaded at the slightest provocation. Always been disappointed by Blue products but the Lewitt was a shame, I really wanted to keep it but it was too buggy.

Dominic
Hi,

please allow a question that might be a bit OT.
I often record videos with different apps just to control my playing (saxophone).
While Auria detects my Røde NTR attached to a Duet mono 2 channels, sound on video is just one channel mono.
Apogee Mic 96k which I also have is working two channels, but sound qualitity is not as good.
So I thought to try the Lewitt, are you sure it cannot be charged while recording with the iPad?

Thanks very much,
Günter

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:35 am

I think the Lewitt itself can be charged while in use, but you definitely cannot charge the iPad.
The power is not passed through to the iPad as it is not a properly qualified MFi device.

Dominic

Mugger

Post by Mugger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:19 pm

dominicperry wrote:I think the Lewitt itself can be charged while in use, but you definitely cannot charge the iPad.
The power is not passed through to the iPad as it is not a properly qualified MFi device.

Dominic
Thanks,

I have ordered the Lewitt and kept it, as the mic sound is very good IMHO.
You are of course right in concerns of charging.

Cheers, Günter