Motu 24ao and Audient iD22 for Auria

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Motu 24ao and Audient iD22 for Auria

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 am

Just wanted to say that I have upgraded my A.I.R.Studio with a Motu 24ao and Audient iD22 and both are working great with the iPad and Auria. The Audient uses BurrBrown converters and has 2 Class A discreet mic pres and 6 balanced outputs as well as it is a monitor controller. Its sound is superb and the stereo field is impressive. It also has ADAT i/o and balanced insert send and returns on each channel and a JFet input for guitar. Ive been using it for a few months now and it works flawlessly. The Motu 24ao uses Sabre ess32 Ultra converters as do Apogee. Non jitter clocking and balanced outputs on Db25 connectors. There is also 24 channels of Adat input and output and your can record and playback 24 channels of audio @ 24 bit 96khz at once. Both plug right into the iPad without the use of a powered usb hub and both work in standalone mode if need be. Actually the Audient is always on standalone and it can be used as an audio interface without the need of a usb connection or even a computer. Setting up the software for both of these is really easy and especially the Motu as that is done right from the Motu AVB discovery iPad app. The Motu is also AVB which allows for wireless transfer of audio between other AVB Motu devices and your iPad. I have tested these both for some time and can report that they are very very good and have no problems with iOS recording. Now all I need is for Auria to output that many tracks. Cheers.

miguelmarcos
Expert

Re: Motu 24ao and Audient iD22 for Auria

Post by miguelmarcos » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:33 am

Thanks for the info, Anthony. The ID22 and 14 look great. When you say without a hub do you also mean no wall wart? Also, is the ID22 immediately recognized in all apps, like GB and Cubasis?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:39 am

yes the ID22 is recognized by all apps in iOS. As for the wall wort , yes it has a wall wort. No usb powered hub means that you don't require additional power at the usb so you can plug the usb right into the iD22 without using a usb powered hub. It is because they are not buss powered. You will really like the sound quality of the iD22 and its flexible routing. Cheers and hope you get one.

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:36 am

I'm now wondering whether the id14 is good enough for my needs. I really am only concerned with direct guitar and bass input and mic pres, no need for simultaneous tracking or multi mic recording.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:37 am

How are you powering the iPad in these two scenarios?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:42 am

I just use the internal power of the iPad. I find that I can work for about 5 hrs on my iPad before she needs to be plugged in and I time my recording sessions to be within that time frame. This works out ok for me but I can see some users wanting to stay working longer than that in which case a device that charges the iPad at the same time is a good thing. Cheers.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Just wanted to say that I have upgraded my A.I.R.Studio with a Motu 24ao and Audient iD22 and both are working great with the iPad and Auria. The Audient uses BurrBrown converters and has 2 Class A discreet mic pres and 6 balanced outputs as well as it is a monitor controller. Its sound is superb and the stereo field is impressive. It also has ADAT i/o and balanced insert send and returns on each channel and a JFet input for guitar. Ive been using it for a few months now and it works flawlessly. The Motu 24ao uses Sabre ess32 Ultra converters as do Apogee. Non jitter clocking and balanced outputs on Db25 connectors. There is also 24 channels of Adat input and output and your can record and playback 24 channels of audio @ 24 bit 96khz at once. Both plug right into the iPad without the use of a powered usb hub and both work in standalone mode if need be. Actually the Audient is always on standalone and it can be used as an audio interface without the need of a usb connection or even a computer. Setting up the software for both of these is really easy and especially the Motu as that is done right from the Motu AVB discovery iPad app. The Motu is also AVB which allows for wireless transfer of audio between other AVB Motu devices and your iPad. I have tested these both for some time and can report that they are very very good and have no problems with iOS recording. Now all I need is for Auria to output that many tracks. Cheers.
Anthony, How is the latency with external devices? You mentioned that setting up the 'software' was easy' I didn't realize Audient had software form the iPad.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Man, I wish I would've discovered this sooner, this sounds like exactly what I've needed this whole time. So I assume it can do 14 channels at 96K but over ADAT or Dsub? Or both..