Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22. Simple AB mic preamp tests.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BGR
Expert

Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22. Simple AB mic preamp tests.

Post by BGR » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am

Received a Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 today. And I wanted to share my first AB tests of the preamps.
Three stereo track files in FLAC format.
No editing, effects or fades.
Exported from Auria to AudioShare. Opened in WiFi Disk. Transferred to a Mac OS X 10.8.5 system. Converted to FLAC with XLD. And uploaded to DropBox.

Feel free to download.

A few characteristics so you can skip the audio descriptions:
-The Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 is battery powered with 3 rechargeable AA batteries.
-There is no powered USB hub between the UA-22 and the iPad 4. When the UA-22 is in TAB mode, you must use either batteries or a power supply. Also, when in TAB mode, the USB output from the UA-22 can be connected directly to the Camera Connection Kit Lightning to USB cable from the iPad 4. And also, when in TAB mode, the UA-22 is supposed to run only in 44.1kHz mode. An internet blogger and reviewer that specializes in video has said that it can also run in 48kHz mode; but I have not tested that yet.
-The gain knobs from the UA-22 have 12 markings above the minimum or 0%. Being the marking number 12 the maximum level or 100% of gain.
-And last but not least, the room is not treated. It is a normal small living room surrounded with furniture. Kind of quiet. But still not a perfect sound proof environment.

CAUTION: Use some nice headphones to listen. Just be aware that the audio files start out quite quiet and get louder towards the end.

1st File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/on2fik0kow662 ... .flac?dl=0
-To test the noise floors of the interface and a pair of inexpensive large diaphragm condenser microphones. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can hear and see the differences.
-Stereo track.
-Left side of track: AKG C3000. Large diaphragm condenser cardioid microphone. Switches set to flat frequency response and no padding.
-Right side of track: t.bone SC-1100. Multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone. Switches set to cardioid mode; and to flat frequency response.
-Phantom powered.
-Placed between 25 and 30 cm away from the microphones.
-Microphones are set side by side as close as possible.
-Before minute 2:30 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 2:30.

2nd File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sy3iaxssghxn ... .flac?dl=0
-This is a Mid/Side exercise. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can decode the Mid/Side stereo image.
-Stereo track.
-MID microphone on Left side: AKG C3000. Large diaphragm condenser cardioid microphone. Switches set to flat frequency response; and no padding.
-SIDE microphone on Right side: t.bone SC-1100. Multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone. Switches set to figure of eight mode; and to flat frequency response.
-Phantom powered.
-Placed between 25 and 30 cm away from the microphones.
-Before minute 1:50 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 1:50.

3rd File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvuhee7sp199b ... .flac?dl=0
-To test the noise floors of the interface and a pair of inexpensive dynamic microphones. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can hear and see the differences.
-Stereo track.
-Left side of track: AKG Live Perception P5. Dynamic microphone.
-Right side of track: Samson Q2U. Hybrid dynamic and USB microphone. In XLR mode.
-Placed roughly 10 cm away from the microphones.
-Before minute 1:23 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 1:23.

EDIT:
The Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 provides true 24bit samples. I verified the files with Goldwave following the steps that user fgplayerx proposed.

EDIT:
Some features I found out about while testing the Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22:
-In TAB mode, because you have to power it with three AA batteries or the optional power supply, you can connect it to a computer or a laptop without drawing power from the USB port. Using it like this, you have no other option but to record in 24bit,44.1kHz. But for those who use a laptop to record, this feature can help you prolong the laptops battery life.
-In TAB mode, you can use it as a standalone preamp, mixer or monitor. The monitor switch on the back gives you the option to monitor in mono, stereo or no monitoring at all. Just connect what ever you need to amplify and start using it without a computer or iOS device.
-And, also in TAB mode and using Multitrack DAW, you can choose all the combinations of bit depths and sample rates available in Multitrack DAW. 16 or 24bit. 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz. Providing true 16 or 24bit samples. Below is a dropbox link with a zip file the original audio files I recorded for this test. And I already verified the bit depths with the Goldwave method that user fgplayerx proposes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vew2e8crizxeg ... s.zip?dl=0

CEIsar
Expert

Re: Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22. Simple AB mic preamp tests.

Post by CEIsar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:19 am

Thanks a lot for your detailed tests/tips and review.Really great stuff,i was looking for infos about this interface and it sure seemed a great interface for iOS even before i stumbled over your post.That was the tip on the icing,i'm gonna buy one now :)

One question:do i have to buy the(expensive) roland ac adapter or can i use a cheaper universal adapter as well?
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:02 pm

I have never used AC adapters. I try to keep my setup as mobile as possible.

But, I would buy the original if I could.

Greetings.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:05 pm

A got one today. I have only tested the standalone feature with only a sm57 a guitar and several headphones. The bigger monitor headphones from KRK as well as two other brands are a bit quiet. I use full gain on the phone dial, but even then the level is a bit low. I can turn up the mic gain as well as the guitar gain, but the red level indicator starts blinking at plosives and guitar strumming. As i haven't recorded anything i don't know how far from digital klipping the red led starts blinking.

Smaller iphone headsets gives much higher levels, but still a bit on the quiet side.

Anyone using easy driven headsets?

Amplified headsets such as the wireless I have works better, but adds the powered transmitter.

I guess that connected to an Ipad, there are non-direct monitor gain that can be used to improve the level.

I use a 9V adapter that I normally use for (boss-)pedals. The suggested adapter is 9V 2000mA if I remember that right.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

dickiefunk
Expert

Post by dickiefunk » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:07 am

Hi,

I'm interested in the Roland Duo-Capture EX myself but have been put off due to it only being able to record at 44.1khz?
Can it definitely record at 48khz?

Thanks