Scarlett 18i20 vs. Presonus 1818vsl....?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

C-minus
Expert

Scarlett 18i20 vs. Presonus 1818vsl....?

Post by C-minus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 am

Well, I've whittled it down to 2 interfaces for my drum kit needs. I'm using first ipad Air, 16gb. I've read good things about both of these guys (the Focusrite 18i20 and Presonus 1818) and many thanks to the Auria community for steering me in the right direction. The Presonus seems a smidge cheaper (I'm looking at used units, BTW) but there's something about the Scarlett that catches my eye...probably the red aluminum chassis. Any thoughts/suggestions out there before I relieve myself of my hard-earned, tax-return dollars? With either unit, I'm assuming I need a lightning-to-USB adaptor.....will the ipad Air reject it if it's not genuine Apple? I see tons of 30-pin Camera Connection Kits around, but not so sure about lightning adaptor. Same goes for USB hub, if that is required...do some work/not work? Whichever interface I get, I really, REALLY want the sucker to work the first time! Thanks in advance to anyone who has some insight on the matter. Looking forward to being able to record directly into Auria, as I'm interfaceless right now, importing previously recorded WAV files into Auria off my BR-1600CD. Thanks again you guys!
iPad Air 1, Scarlett 18i8, Behringer B-2 Pro/C-3, SM 57's(backup hammer)ISA One, KRK Rockit 5's, coffee.

RichardTheGreat

Re: Scarlett 18i20 vs. Presonus 1818vsl....?

Post by RichardTheGreat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:15 am

Hi C-Minus. I was a previous owner of the Presonus 1818VSL and decided to send it back so I can get the Scarlett 18i20. The reason for my exchange was that the Scarlett does not require a powered USB hub. Also, there was a problem with getting sound the Presonus's headphone output that many users besides myself experienced. I hope this helped you a bit on deciding which one to get