Tascam 4x4

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

local12

Tascam 4x4

Post by local12 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

Does anyone have any experience with this interface? Seems like a good deal vis-a-vis the comparable options.

local12

Re: Tascam 4x4

Post by local12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Anyone out there with a Tascam 4x4?

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:36 am

Was going to post about the latest Tascam interfaces and saw this thread, so figured bumping it would work as well.

I use the Tascam US-2x2, the two channel version of the US-4x4, with Auria and all my other iPad music apps. It's Core Audio and is fully class compliant, working fine through the CCK/USB input. The 2x2 needs the Tascam PRS520 power adapter (annoyingly not included in the box) or a USB hub. There are a few mentions on the net where it's said the 2x2 is powered by the iPad, I haven't experimented with it but I feel that since the Tascam is so robust it is best to power it before going into the iPad. The Tascam brand adapter and knock offs are easy to find on Amazon. The Tascam US-4x4 comes with an adapter and definitely needs it when using it with an iPad.

I am an unashamed Tascam fanboy so these interfaces interested me from jumpstreet. I did do my homework though and feel that for price vs. performance, features and for most importantly sound quality, the Tascam units are an excellent choice for an iPad based studio set up or for digital recording in general. Most reviewers praised the two units, which aside from the 4x4's two additional inputs, are identical.

Both have switchable mic/line/hi-z instrument inputs, two on combo jacks for the 2x2 and four individual XLR and 1/4" jacks on the 4x4. My favorite feature is a mixable monitor control so instead of just choosing only the no latency direct input or the output from the iPad you can blend the two to get just enough dry input to help overcome latency and still hear the mix, etc. The other nice touch that alot of interfaces in this range don't have is MIDI in & out 5 pin jacks. My 25 key controller is USB MIDI only but if I wanted to use another controller that was 5 pin only, etc. it's nice to have the option.

I usually use a tube mic preamp for mics & a SansAmp or Tube DI for bass but the preamps in these aren't bad at all, actually quite good. Tascam's website has a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo to tout the preamps but whatever they did these sound very clean and musical, not at all like the "just stuffing a mic into the soundcard mic jack" sound I had from my old M-Audio and ProSonus interfaces in the past.

Not to come off like a commercial but I dig these and would totally recommend either the two or four input, especially for use with iPad based software we are all using. These latest Tascam models just sound great and most importantly just WORK, no BS involved.
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

jagon

Post by jagon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Crossing my fingers here as this is an old thread- but is there a way to loop record drums (I have 4x mics plugging into the tascam us 4x4) and I'd like to live record drums to my 10.5in ipad pro.

Anyone have experience doing this? How does it work? Any suggestions?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Auria doesn't support recording in loop mode (only playback).

Rim

jagon

Post by jagon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:06 am

🤯

What!? Thank god I didn’t buy the app yet. Will it ever get that feature??

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Most likely not. Auria is not really designed for live looping, it's more of a traditional DAW, like Pro Tools. I would suggest looking at one of the other apps that are more tailored to that purpose.

Rim