Entry-level interface info needed

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Altostratus

Entry-level interface info needed

Post by Altostratus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for an Auria-compatible entry-level audio interface for use with the iPad Air 2. I've looked at the Avid Fasttrack Duo but unfortunately it has no MIDI I/O. The Roland UV22 isn't MFi but has MIDI and looks like my best candidate so far. I was wondering if there was anything else in this price-range (sub-$200) that I should look at.

Thank you very much.
iPad Air 2, Mac Pro 2009 2.66 28gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.1

rkmonkey
Expert

Re: Entry-level interface info needed

Post by rkmonkey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:41 am

I have been using focusrite itrack dock. It is acceptable but not perfect. Ii have not yet used the USB midi. I wanted an interface that will charge the ipad.

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:19 am

Altostratus wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for an Auria-compatible entry-level audio interface for use with the iPad Air 2. I've looked at the Avid Fasttrack Duo but unfortunately it has no MIDI I/O. The Roland UV22 isn't MFi but has MIDI and looks like my best candidate so far. I was wondering if there was anything else in this price-range (sub-$200) that I should look at.

Thank you very much.
Use the presonus vsl 18/18 in and outs (!!!!) BUT with HUB spec USB 2 ONLY
DON"t need to power it
Then reset on/off the presonus mixer until you get it blue led usb sync REALLY working
RESET auria Matrix out 1/2 MAIN , 3-6 Audio outs , 7/8 headphones , 9/10 SDIF , 11-16 ADAT
Set matrix in following needs inputs to record
Set matrix out bus 1 NO in available
set track out recording to Bus 1.( so NO double monitoring)

IPAD AIR 1 processor x7 works wonderfull, i pad air 2 of course BEST power from x8 Amazing new processor
set AURIA's settings Midi IN/out to audiobox (including which sync if needed)
Set buffer latency 126 samples ( get no latency playing AAC -VSTI from midi KEYBOARD )

VSL is the ONLY CHEAP but POWERFUL BOX multitrack , wonderful sound, No Overload , ONLY USB sync problems that need to RESET on/off the PRESONUS box if silent (!)
THEN RESET Auria MATRIX in /out ( bugged!)
MIX with output matrix auria set to 1/2 to GET auto transfer to AUDIOSHARE really available with stereo wave ( no split)
Bad luck : Presonus canNOT charge iPAD...if NEEDED : use
CHEAPER, SAFE, perfect BUT stereo in/out only ....ALESIS I-out ipad Dock : Alesis can charge iPAD non stop while in use
FORGET other's BRANDS .....
HIP HIP HIP? ...AURIA !
( which mother fucker refuses to give a MIDI multichannel TRACK? (16 channels at once : VSTI CAN choose CH out(s)LATER)

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 am

If you can possibly squeeze a tiny bit more out of your budget, and don't need a ton of inputs, I would very highly recommend the Steinberg UR44.

See this recent post of mine for more details:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 473#p35903

Altostratus

Post by Altostratus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 am

Thank you, but I don't need that many inputs and the UR44 costs twice as much as the UA22. Plus it's not battery-powered, so somewhat less portable, not to mention bulkier. It's probably an excellent choice if you need a multi-purpose inteface, but for my Mac Pro DAW I already have the excellent RME Fireface UC, so I really need something as small as possible while providing mic, line, phantom & MIDI.

fut0k0

Post by fut0k0 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:37 am

I've never used one, but if I remember correctly from browsing products, IK Multimedia's iRig Pro might be exactly what you're looking for.

Altostratus

Post by Altostratus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Thank you, looks interesting. One channel only, though. I'll check it out.

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:42 pm

If you need a portable and battery powered interface check Behringer iS202:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/iS202.aspx
Connected via a full loaded car battery, 12 volt, you should be able to work for several days nonstop.
But I recommend you to listen it before, because the sound of Behringers interfaces are not everyones taste.
The german online shops are selling them for 88 € now.
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

John Platko

Post by John Platko » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Ohmnoise wrote:If you need a portable and battery powered interface check Behringer iS202:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/iS202.aspx
Connected via a full loaded car battery, 12 volt, you should be able to work for several days nonstop.
But I recommend you to listen it before, because the sound of Behringers interfaces are not everyones taste.
The german online shops are selling them for 88 € now.
The is202 is not very good. I get crackling in the headphone out ( others have this problem too) and there's crosstalk with the output and inputs. I have to use the iPad phone jack out for no crackling and/ or crosstalk.