Focusrite 2i2 ipad connection

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Paul2332

Focusrite 2i2 ipad connection

Post by Paul2332 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:55 am

I've read other articles and posts about connecting a focusrite interface to an ipad but I was wondering if anyone could supply a step by step instruction for connecting this device to the ipad and then recording a track. Or if there is a relevant post or topic I would gladly be redirected.

I have an ipad 3, a focusrite 2i2, a camera connection kit and a powered USB hub. The green USB light on the focusrite is lit and the focusrite input lights up when I strike the keys on the synth, but I'm unable to get a signal in Auria. The ipad tells me that the focusrite is an unsupported device.

Cheers,

P

supanorton
Expert

Re: Focusrite 2i2 ipad connection

Post by supanorton » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Are you using an Apple camera connection kit? 3rd party CCKs are unreliable.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:56 am

Auria only connects to interfaces already recognized by the iPad. I agree with Supanorton that the problem is with either the CCk or the powered usb hub. The only way to check these is to try another CCK or USB hub. I have a 2i2 that I still use and I have never had any issues with it. I use an Apple CCk and a basic 5 port Logix powered usb hub. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

danielmstroud

Post by danielmstroud » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:39 am

I am having a similar issue since updating to iOS 8. Earlier this year I was using Belkin powered USB hub (model F4UO40V) to connect the Focusrite 2i2 using the Apple brand lightning CCK to an iPad 4 using iOS 7 and it worked fine. But last month I got my stuff stolen and had to replace everything so I updated to an iPad Air with iOS 8 and replaced the Scarlett 2i2 and bought the same Belkin USB hub and lightning CCK.

I've connected it every way possible and made sure that the mic was allowed. Is there just a security issue going on here with iOS 8 with external inputs? Does iOS 8 only allow MFI interfaces now?

Somebody please help me because I'm about to go crazy!

PS I'm also having this issue in BIAS and JamUp Pro. I haven't tried Loopy HD yet, but I suspect it's an iOS problem and not the apps themselves.

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:39 am

Paul,
Can you try removing the powered usb hub from your chain and plugging your interface directly into the CCK. Power your focusrite interface with a wall plug and try to see if you can get a signal into auria with a microphone. Let me know if this makes a difference.

Corey

danielmstroud

Post by danielmstroud » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:51 am

There's no wall plug connection on the 2i2. That's why I have to use a powered USB hub.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:07 pm

When you look at the 2i2, do you see the halo lights come on when you talk into the mic or strum your guitar? Maybe you have a defective 2i2?

fgplayerx
Expert

Post by fgplayerx » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:05 am

Try one of these two methods. No powered USB hub needed. I'm sure you have everything somewhere in your accesories except maybe the cables I recommend. Hopes it helps.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12622

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11150

The method from the first link I tried it with an iPad 4 with iOS 7 and with an iPhone 4S with iOS 8.

The method from the second link I tried with the 2i2 and the iTrack Solo.

Both methods should work with the 2i2 and the original iPad wall charger as a power source.

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:30 am

To make sure there wasn't some new issue with iOS 8 I wanted to test this out, so I searched around to find your exact Belkin USB hub and picked one up to test back at the office. Using a Scarlett 18i20 (as we don't have a 2i2 in-house) with that Belkin hub and an iPad with iOS 8.1 everything worked normally, the interface showed up properly in Auria and I could record all 18 inputs at once; so there aren't any iOS 8 issues happening here.

Most likely means one of your replacement pieces is defective, so try swapping out USB cables, hub, CCK, etc. Maybe a local Apple store will let you try out a different iPad or CCK in case one of them is bad.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

asomatous

Post by asomatous » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm

I know this is old but I am writing this for anyone searching the internet for confirmation of this as I was:
Today I have a 2i2 working perfectly with Auria Pro using one of the newer Camera Connection Kits with the lightning port. Nothing else powering the interface, but the iPad charger going into the CCK with the USB, with 48v sent to one condenser mic. It seems that the power is not quite sufficient to charge the iPad at the same time but the battery is not draining and everything is working fine without the need for battery packs or USB-Y leads.