itrack dock Midi controller keyboard

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jonb

itrack dock Midi controller keyboard

Post by Jonb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey, I've just taken the plunge into the world of Auria, loving it so far :)

I've ordered and the new focusrite itrack dock (Due tomorrow) and I'm thinking about purchasing a USB midi keyboard. I'm not amazingly clued up on these things so wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm hoping I can pick something up second hand that is class complient to use as a controller for auria, and a few synth apps. Any suggestions as I'm on a tight budget.
:D

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: itrack dock Midi controller keyboard

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 am

Hi there. Your iTrack Dock will have to be connected to a powered usb multi hub so that you can connect a usb midi controller to it. This will all have to be connected to an Apple CCK kit. Which controller you choose doesn't make much difference unless your trying to control Auria's mixer via midi in which case you will need a controller that send HUI code. I use an Axiom 49 II but I started with a cheap M-Audio Key ring 49 ($99.00) new. You can use a midi usb keyboard controller plugged directly into the Apple CCK kit and no audiobox is needed. You may just be able to get away with a USB splitter if there is enough power supplied by the iTrack Dock's USB midi port. The iPad will warn you if the device your trying to connect uses too much power. If you see that warning than you will need the powered usb hub. Simply connect the Powered usb hub to the iPad's CCK kit and then connect everything to the hub. On my hub I connect my Audio interface, my FaderPort and my Axiom 49 controller at the same time. So feel free to acquire any USB midi keyboard controller. If you pick up a midi controller that has only the original DIN midi connectors, than in order to use that midi keyboard you will require a Midi DIN to USB adapter as the iTrack Dock has no DIN midi connections only USB. Good luck and let us know how you made out. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~*

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:44 am

Anthony, I don't think this is true. The iTrack dock has a USB Midi port which you can plug a keyboard straight into, as long as the keyboard has a USB Midi output port.
I don't think you need a CCK or a powered hub.

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:19 pm

You know funny thing is I did a ton of research on this so that I could give acurate advice. But you know I've been on some killer meds for my broken shoulder so I totally missed the fact that A DOCK connects to the iPad already so NO NEED FOR A CCK KIT. OK. And you are right to tell me that the midi keyboard can connect directly to the iTrack Dock's usb midi in. I even stared at the picture for a fair bit but darn if I even noticed that it slid into the Dock. I even said to myself, " boy that looks wierd ". Lol. Thanks for straightening this out dominicperry. Very cool you helped me out of this one. And now for more morphine and T3's. And I won't be answering any more posts until I'm tecovered and not high on meds and clearly not seeing straight either. Cheers guys. ~~_/)~~~*

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:36 am

Anthony, take it easy, enjoy the meds, don't stress!

I bought an iTrack Dock but I sent it back, didn't think much of the headphone or monitor outs. Probably good for the money, but not good enough for my uses. Didn't try the mic pres or the USB midi port.

Dominic

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

dominicperry wrote:Anthony, take it easy, enjoy the meds, don't stress!

I bought an iTrack Dock but I sent it back, didn't think much of the headphone or monitor outs. Probably good for the money, but not good enough for my uses. Didn't try the mic pres or the USB midi port.

Dominic
Dominic,
I'd like to know a little more about your reasoning. Was it sound quality, volume, a combination, or something else? I'll be in the market for another iPad in a few months and was looking at the iTrack Dock to replace my 2i2. Not completely satisfied with the headphone output on the 2i2. I was hoping the iTrack Dock would have a bit more output.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:55 am

supanorton wrote:
dominicperry wrote:Anthony, take it easy, enjoy the meds, don't stress!

Dominic
Dominic,
I'd like to know a little more about your reasoning. Was it sound quality, volume, a combination, or something else? I'll be in the market for another iPad in a few months and was looking at the iTrack Dock to replace my 2i2. Not completely satisfied with the headphone output on the 2i2. I was hoping the iTrack Dock would have a bit more output.
Despite my complaints about past Focusrite products, and despite the lack of a monitor blend control (direct & computer blend), I really wanted to like the iTrack, because it's physically very neat and has most of the features I would like - separate headphone and monitor volumes, USB midi port, charges the iPad when in use, no extra breakout cables, full size headphone socket, TRS balanced outs etc). It could do with more metal, especially on the connectors, but for the price, it's a physically reasonably well engineered bit of kit. The mic gain was always likely to be limiting (46dB IIRC) but I didn't get that far. The headphone output is loud, but nasty at volume. At lower volumes it's got a strange upper mid harshness, but relatively bearable. I'm using an Apogee One with Genelec 8020's for monitoring at the moment, so I'm not comparing it to consumer systems, which tend to be mid-scooped, I'm comparing it to a moderately mid-forward system. I was hoping the problem was limited to the headphone output, and that the main outs would be better, but they were the same throughout the range. There was just no way I could enjoy listening to music or make mixing judgements based on what I heard. For years now I've listened to commercial music (for pleasure) almost exclusively through studio monitor speakers, and I know what stuff sounds like through them. I've had Genelec 8040's and 8020's, Yamaha HS-7's and Unity The Rock's. I've used interfaces from Sound Devices (USBPre), Lexicon (Alpha) - very good for the money, Apogee (older One, new One, Quartet) and RME (Digiface, Multiface, Babyface). I'm not after perfection, and I can hear the differences between the interfaces and the speakers, but I get used to them. I've also rejected interfaces from M-Audio (Fast Track Ultra) although the M-Audio Transit was good. Also rejected - ESI U24XL, Allen and Heath Zed10FX, everything by Tascam, Zoom when connected by USB (H4N and H6) etc etc. The list goes on. Some cheap things are good - Lexicon Alpha, M-Audio Transit, (and one of my favourite bits of kit is the Art My Monitor - not an interface but just listed to demonstrate, I'm not a gear snob). Some stuff gets rejected because the physical controls are rubbish - all the mic gain up one end, some because they are noisy on USB power, some because the headphone outputs are weak. Some stuff is rejected because the drivers are rubbish - everything by Mackie. Focusrite drivers were rubbish 7 or 8 years ago, they might be great now. Mackie has continued to stiff their customers with terrible driver support and I won't go near them, even though their kit sounds good. There's lots of good gear out there which functionally does 80% of what you need. It's the last 20% which is hard to find, but in all cases, if it's makes a whining noise on USB or keeps crashing or just sounds nasty, it's no good. The iTrack Dock, is, in my opinion, no good, because it sounds nasty. Sorry. I wish it wasn't so.

Dominic

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you, kindly.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:45 pm

image.jpg
My turn to try.. More to follow..

Jonb

Post by Jonb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

Went with the Novation launchkey in the end, just gotta try and figure out these midi settings :)

I'll keep you posted

Thehitmanuk

Post by Thehitmanuk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 am

itrack doc is superb if you can be bothered to learn about it.its actually as good as any portable multi tracker on the market ,if not better.had mine 3 weeks now and have really got to grips with it ,after buying the video add on I can now produce top quality personalized music videos and auria puts them nicely in sync ready for viewing.
I also have a zoom hd16 which is fantastic but its much more of a pleasure using the itrack I find it almost stress free even at mixdown stage. for acoustic mussos this has to be the best invention yet theres endless possibilities without all the hassle and expensive rack set ups and it doesn't have the ableton I want to stick pins in my eyes effect !! either.

TedBPhx
Expert

Post by TedBPhx » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Had an iTrack for a month. Nice bit of kit. Plugged in an Axiom Air 25. Works. Able to run a guitar, an AT2020 mic, and the Axiom simultaneously.