Adat Optical In, Crackling Sounds On Audio Interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jsol
Expert

Re: Adat Optical In, Crackling Sounds On Audio Interface

Post by jsol » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:00 am

Hi Chad,

This firmware is windows only. I'm sorry to hear about your clicks and pops. Try contacting focusrite support so they can trouble shoot your Mac issue.

Sincerely,

Joel S.

chris30506

Post by chris30506 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 am

I have a Focusrite 18i8. I'm trying to use a Presonus Digimax LT-8 to add 8 more channels. Both units sound great together until I plug the focusrite into the ipad air. I immediately get the dreaded pops and clicks from the Digimax ADAT channels. I've confirmed that the the mix control settings are saved after the Focusrite is power cycled. I spoke with Matt at Focusrite and he was really helpful. He tested with the same devices and confirmed that the issue is with the ipad. Matt says this is a known issue. Apparently the ipad is changing the word clock settings on the Focusrite and there is nothing that can be done until Apple addresses the issue. My question: Is there anything that can be done in Auria to override this? I'm running the latest firmware on the Focusrite and the latest Update on the ipad. Having the ability to record 8+ channels anywhere would be huge and get me out of this horrible sounding room (and away from ProTools).

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 am

HI Chris30506,

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with crackling sounds. Matt from focusrite could be right and it is probably an apple issue. I don't believe there is a setting you can change in Auria though I could be wrong. However, I had a similar issue in the past, the problem that I discovered was having the latest firmware. Foucusrite sent me some files to revert back to an older firmware which seemed to fix my cracking sound issue. The oldfirmware file links and instructions are in the first page of this thread which should still be active. This will only work if you are on Windows as I was on Windows when focusrite sent me this information. If you are on Mac, maybe focusrite can send you instructions to revert back to an oldfirmware on Mac. I believe the firmware was 1.6 I think. The reason I was able to find out the issue in my case is because I was recording using adat with the older firmware and remembered having no crackling issues. I had the 18i6 and was using an external preamp and converter similar to your situation. As I updated to firmware 1.8, I noticed the cracking issues therefore, I asked focusrite to try and revert me back to the firmware I used when it had no issues. I am using an iPad 4th generation with lightning cable.

It's difficult to isolate the problem but this is what worked for me.

Sincerely,

JSol.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 am

I believe this is a clocking issue with Focusrite and their light pipe intergration. I had an 18i20 with the same issue. Pops and crackles and no resolve. I returned the unit for a Motu and everything is working perfect now through my ADAT and Toslink options at all frequencies from 44.1 to 96k. I connect my Audient iD22 to the ADAT input of the Motu. I also connect my SSL Alfa Channel into the Motu via Toslink light pipe. I connect my Audient Mico into the Audient iD22 optical input. All 5 digital inputs are available anytime I need them and with three units connected at once into the Motu 24ao there is no pops or ticks or crackles and all through the digital inputs of the Motu. My iPad Air handles this all very well and so does Auria. So I don't think this is an iPad issue but one from Focusrite as the Motu works flawlessly. Cheers.

chris30506

Post by chris30506 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for both replies.
1. The latest firmware version cannot be rolled back. I tried the version mentioned before trying the latest version.
2. I purchased the Focusrite used so sending back is not an option. Also, the Presonus and the Focusrite sound great together (no pops/clicks) until the Focusrite is plugged into my IPad Air. The question I meant to ask was: "would it be possible to add a setting to Auria to allow the user to override how the iPad handles word clock settings. I agree that the Focusrite software is probably the root of the problem but since they're telling me Apple is the problem and I can't roll back firmware, I'm just looking for a way to make my equipment usable. This just seems like a simple software issue.

Thanks again,

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:03 pm

I wish that were possible, but Apple doesn't give any low-level control over the audio system to developers. The only thing we can do is set the sample rate and the buffer size. Those are the only two options they give us. All the rest is handled by iOS.

Rim