Confused with Auria and Scarlett 6i6 setup

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tomatic

Confused with Auria and Scarlett 6i6 setup

Post by tomatic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi folks,

I apologize in advance for hopping on here as a newbie and immediately asking a rather complex question. It's just that right now I'm completely frustrated with my own cluelessness. I'm not the type to ask for help before I've at least consulted the available documentation. The problem is that audio routing just confuses the hell out of me and I don't know how to proceed.

So here goes.

I'm trying to set up Auria with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 to record a podcast and I'm pulling out my hair because I can't seem to figure out the routing.

This is my setup:

I interview podcast guests using Skype on a Mac. I've got a Griffin iMic (audio jack in/out to USB interface) connected to the Mac that sends all system audio to its out jack which is connected to the input #4 on the back of the 6i6. My mic is hooked up to the front XLR input #1 of the 6i6. The back output #1 of the 6i6 is connected to the iMic's in jack so my guest hears me. The 6i6 is connected to an iPad using a USB to Lightning adapter. Auria recognizes the interface and all the inputs and outputs. I've got headphones and a Tascam DR-100 hooked up to the headphone ports for monitoring and a backup recording.

Here's what I want to achieve:

Obviously, I want to hear my guest, so the audio from Skype that goes out via the iMic into the 6i6 needs to get to my headphones. I also want to hear myself in my headphones. The guest should hear me but not get an "echo" of himself, so I need to set up a mix-minus that sends only the signal from my mic out to the back output #1 back to the iMic and Skype. I want to record both sides of the interview on separate tracks in Auria and a stereo mixdown to the Tascam as a backup (I also record with Call Recorder on the Mac, but that takes care of itself once I can get my mic's signal to the iMic).

My problem is that I've tried a number of different configurations in both Auria and using Mix Control to set up the 6i6. So far I haven't been able to figure out the settings I need; I'm either hearing an echo of myself, or the guest is getting an echo of himself, or I hear nothing, etc. I'm just completely at a loss as to how I need to configure the 6i6 and which output matrix settings go with that.

Can anyone here help me figure this out?

Tom

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Re: Confused with Auria and Scarlett 6i6 setup

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Tomatic,

Here is how you should route this in MixControl.

In Mix 1 Tab you should be able to see the incoming Signal from both your Microphone, Input 1, and your Mac's Skype Output through the Griffin, Input 4. Thus Mix 1 is the Final Mix that you want going to your headphones and Tascam. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

In MixControl send Mix 1 (L) > Headphone Left and Mix 1 (R) > Headphone Right. This should already be this way by default.

This will allow you to hear the Final Mix and send it to your Tascam in the two Headphone Jacks, as you described.

As you want just your voice going back to the caller on Skype, via Output 1 set Anlg In 1 > Monitor Output 1 in MixControl.

Only the Analog Input 1 will now go back to the Mac.

Both Inputs, your Mic and your Line from the Mac, will go into Auria and the Tascam.

In summary just open MixControl, hit File > Restore Factory Defaults to undo any odd settings you made previously, then change the Monitor Output 1 to Analog In 1.

Please let me know if you need further help or my idea of what you are trying to do is not accurate.

Best regards.

Kat
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/