Line6 or Apogee Jam? Recommendations?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Peanutcram
Expert

Line6 or Apogee Jam? Recommendations?

Post by Peanutcram » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 am

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting a new easy to handle guitar interface with still good audio quality.
The best I found so far is Line6 with lot of I/O and Apogee Jam (new 96k version).
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on these?
Thx for reply

pipo79
Expert

Re: Line6 or Apogee Jam? Recommendations?

Post by pipo79 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

Focusrite offers plenty good preamps for low money - if you get the 2i4 you pay 189€ and have midi in/out as well - yi got my fcb1010 mudifootboard connected and I can switch stompboxes, presets in positivegrid while playing - NOT possible with the IAP PositiveGrid App inside Auria but with the standalone App via Audiobus towards Auria.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Hi , I have both well I have the 44-48 apogee jam

They are both just as good and very good

The apogee does have an input gain dial though so you can get the input signal just right

But the line6 sonic port (is that the one you are looking at) has a stereo input as well as mono and a stereo output as well
Also the headphone socket

The sonic port does sound a little crisper when using the headphone socket which I slightly prefer ,and also the pod mobile Guitar app is free and can only be used with a sonic port (& maybe other line6 interfaces)

If both broke, I'll probably get the sonic port again as it has the stereo out and headphone socket that I think not tried can both be used at the same time
You can only use one input at a time tho 8)

Peanutcram
Expert

Post by Peanutcram » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Yay. Thanks, that's good info. No other small interface provides such a flexibility. And if there is not a big difference in sound...
Just found ESI introducing iOS interfaces: http://youtu.be/Q-PnTiSD4pc

What about 96k recording with Apogee's new device? Do you think that brings a big advantage?

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 am

There are several small 24-bit capable devices. Besides the mentioned ones there is one from IK Multimedia that provides guitar input or phantom powered mic input, and MIDI input. But no headphone output. No stereo-ins.

The reason I mention this is that most small devices seem to aim at different tasks. What is needed? Stereo-ins, Mic in, midi?

However, between Line6 and Apogee Jam (which neither I have tested as I have an Apogee One, old version) I would go for the Line6 as the headphone out makes one less connections to be attached. Everything is provided by just attaching the Line6 to the iPad. The simplicity of just having to attach one device will make you use it more (if you are as lazy as I am).

It also has software that could be fun to use.

Stereo-ins gives the oportunity to connect to a mixer for live recordings or video recordings.

But the Apogee can be connected to a Mac. Connecting two devices to a Mac and you have stereo. Line6 is a pure iOS device.

I think Apogee Jam comes as a new version. Does it have lightning connection? Or 30pin? Line6 provides connectors that othervice are expensive.

I have no idea of what the quality, reliability or how app-friendly the devices are. Do you e.g. have to use Maestro for Apogee? My One needs Garageband for input switching.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Wouldn't say the 96 recording Apogee will be a massive improvement , according to some you have to have a very good set of lugs to heaR the difference between 48 & 96 recording

I mostly use 44 nowadays especially as I use IAA apps to make things run a little better

Plus if your recording mainly guitar not sure 96 recording runs that smoothly, think most guitar apps run in either 44 or 48
Sure they'll be 96 in the future when things will be more stable tho

Think only overloud can cope with 96 recording but not a 100% sure as not tried this for a while