iLoud or Standar studio speakers for home studio?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

iLoud or Standar studio speakers for home studio?

Post by sebastianbarria » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:20 am

Hi everyone.
I want to buy some speakers for my home studio and I don't know what's better: the new ik multimedia iLoud (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/) or some standard monitors like KRK Rokit 5.
There's another option: The Focusrite VRM BOX (http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box), a simulator to work with speakers.

I work with my ioDock and Auria, so the output to speakers, monitors, simulator or headphones shouldn't be a problem.
I really don't know too much about monitors... so I would be really grateful if some of you check the technical specs and could give ve some hints.
Thanks a lot guys!

Washboy
Expert

Re: iLoud or Standar studio speakers for home studio?

Post by Washboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 am

The Focusrite VRM Box is designed to make headphones 'feel' like speakers. But it's of no use with an iPad because it requires DSP software running on the host device to make it work. That software is for Windows/Mac only :(

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:44 am

Thanls!
True... I dind't think about that... so... I have only two choices... anyone with experience on that?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 pm

If you are serious about mixing, the KRK's have a great reputation.
I would like to have a pair myself. (KRK monitors, that is) :wink:

Warning, rant in progress!
Regarding IK. Let me put it this way. (and this is just my opinion)
I bought the iRig for almost $50 when it first came out. It's completely useless due to constant feedback. As far as I am concerned, they owe me $49 clams and hours of trying to make that thing work.
Mine sits on a bookshelf near my mixer, to remind me never to buy any IK hardware again.

Their ad has an interesting statement, "ultra-accurate frequency response". What???
Unfortunately I couldn't find any frequency response chart on that page. The only advantage I see to the iLoud is its portability.

:idea:
Slightly off topic:
I too, have also been searching for a Bluetooth speaker that isn't hyped bass-wise, and finally went with the G-Grip by G-Project. Got it for about $70 and am very happy with it. At first I thought the bass was too low, but after seriously trying it to eq some acoustic tracks, I realized that it was just well balanced.

Here's the specs for the G-Grip:
Power Adapter Input ....................... 100 - 240V AC, 50Hz/60Hz
Power Adapter Output ..................... 5V DC, 1300mA, Center positive
Bluetooth v2.1 compliant ..................supports Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) and A2DP
Battery....................................... 3.7V, 800mAh, Rechargeable Lithium-ion
Power Output ................. ............. 2W x 2
Output Level ............................... 85dB at 0.5m
Frequency Response ....................... 60Hz - 20kHz
Speakers .................................... 1.5” x 2 acoustic drivers with Neodymium magnets
Radiator ..................................... Rear ring passive radiator
Battery Playback Time..................... Up to 8 hours
Battery Recharging Time ................. ~3.5 hours
http://gprojectgear.com/products/g-grip

Good luck in your search Sebastian.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 pm

I have the IK iLoud and also some Yamaha HS-7's. I have previously owned Genelec 8040s as well as countless HiFi speakers including Shahinians.

In my opinion, the iLoud is impressive for its size, but only if you need a portable speaker system. If you intend to have any kind of permanent home studio, almost any 'real' monitors at the same price will be better. The HS-7s are infinitely better. But you can't sling them in a bag and take them on a plane.

The iLoud has two problems which I've discovered so far. One is a really aggravating hiss when no music is being played. They automatically go into a standby mode after about 10 minutes, so then the hiss stops, but until then it's pretty annoying. The second problem is the frequency response. There are two nasty peaks at roughly 2KHz and 8KHz. I've had to save an iTunes preset with a 6dB cut at 2KHz and a 3dB cut at 8KHz. I have a preset on my Mac DAW master output to do the same.

The bass response is good for little speakers, but honestly, they are tiny drivers in a tiny enclosure. What can you expect?
I'm pleased with mine but as I say, unless you really need the portability, get some real speakers.

Dominic

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Great!... Thanks a lot!
I think I will buy some krk speakers