Made for iPad from Focusrite

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mandodon
Expert

Made for iPad from Focusrite

Post by mandodon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Coming soon, (will be announced at NAMM) and it charges/powers the iPad while in use. Looks pretty sweet.

http://global.focusrite.com/ipad-audio- ... k#overview

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Re: Made for iPad from Focusrite

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi Guys!

Glad to see you all already saw the iTrack Dock announcement.

Please check out the video we made for it, which highlights Auria for tracking and mixing. Gotta love that Auria reverb, it sounds delicious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVozqgjS ... e=youtu.be

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

Kat
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:03 pm

@Kat
Either you've got Cubasis and Auria around the wrong way, or Auria's got a colourful new UI :lol:

http://global.focusrite.com/ipad-audio- ... k#overview[/quote]
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Looks like Auria's Edit screen to me. If viewing the Mixer press the waveform button at the top left.

See at this time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVozqgjSQpE#t=107

Best regards.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:36 am

Katherine, any idea of when it will be available?

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Unfortunately as I am in End User Support I really do not know what the expected arrival time in the retails stores is.

The best way to get this update is to subscribe to an "Email me when in stock" or pre-order such as:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iTrackDock

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite-i ... 3600464.gc

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ng_on.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Kat

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Katherine_Focusrite wrote:Looks like Auria's Edit screen to me. If viewing the Mixer press the waveform button at the top left.

Best regards.
He was pointing out that they had the Auria and Cubasis names flip-flopped under the images. I saw it as well. Your web designer was obviously made aware of the error and corrected the mistake. I think it's awesome that Auria gets top-billing over Cubasis and Garageband on the device page! Hopefully this means that Focusrite is keenly aware of the beautiful marriage between their hardware and the Auria software, and are committed to compatability and symbiosis moving forward! I have always loved Focusrite pre's, and I can't think of a better current iOS tandem than Auria/Focusrite. Both have an amazing opportunity right now and are possibly on the cusp of something magnificent....

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 pm

When will the cretins at Focusrite realise that a Direct Monitor button is no good? You need a mix control (or two independent gains, one for input->monitor and the other for software return->monitor). It's as if they never actually test it by using it.

Dominic

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Dominic,

Apologies that you are unhappy with the Direct Monitor feature on this particular unit.

You are fully able to do what you describe on most of our units, such as the 2i4 with a Direct Monitor Blend Knob, or any unit with our MixControl software, which has much much more advanced Monitoring features.

It is common to see these lower priced Direct Monitor switches or buttons on lower priced units.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 am

Katherine,

All the iPad specific interfaces which Focusrite do (iTrack Dock, iTrack Solo and iTrack Studio) have a direct monitor button, which does not allow the balancing of input and playback volumes. This is a serious oversight. It is ONLY the iPad specific (MFi) interfaces which are able to charge the iPad whilst using the interface. So, Focusrite are failing to provice a full solution for iPad users, despite having 3 MFi products.

In addition, the mic gain of 46dB on the iTrack Dock is very disappointing.

I understand that you are not, personally, responsible for Focusrite design decisions. However, it would be useful to relay the failure of all three products to address iPad and Auria's users' needs. Clearly, some users will be happy with these interfaces. However, you will see from other threads in this forum, that many people are searching for an interface which addresses the problems of using an iPad for audio - portability, ability to use USB midi keyboards, ability to charge the iPad, ability to be self-powered (battery or external power pack), and decent sound quality. And controllable zero-latency monitoring is certainly on my list.
I think the expectation for more than 46dB of mic gain is pretty much universal.

While we're at it, a decent headphone amp is essential too. Suspiciously, there are no specs for the iTrack Dock. At least 150mW per channel is needed, it's impossible to track a drummer or loud guitar amp with 20mW per channel output, even on low impedence phones.

Dominic

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Dominic,

I see you also posted in another thread which I just replied too, so apologies if this is double posting.

Only these three lowest priced units do not have a volume selection on the Monitoring.

While I understand your frustration with the hardware I can say that you will not see a more expensive monitoring system added to a unit without the cost of the unit changing. You do get what you pay for and this is a feature that is on all of our larger interfaces. This is because this feature requires a DSP chip to do the Monitor mixes and volume adjustments. This is extra cost to the parts and production of the unit and thus a higher priced unit in the end.

As we do already offer units with this type of higher end monitoring system I think your solution will be in making that Monitoring System more accessible for iOS, as other customer have already suggested. We have had many requests to create an iOS version of Scarlett MixControl. As of now you can make the adjustments you describe, however you would have to make them on the PC/Mac, save them and then use them on the iPad in a fixed mode.

If you do have or are interested in having a larger Focusrite Interface, 6i6 or up, and wish to use MixControl to mix Monitor levels while tracking on an iPad I can add your name to the requests for this type of App to be created.

Best regards.

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Katherine_Focusrite wrote:Hi Dominic,

I see you also posted in another thread which I just replied too, so apologies if this is double posting.

Only these three lowest priced units do not have a volume selection on the Monitoring.

While I understand your frustration with the hardware I can say that you will not see a more expensive monitoring system added to a unit without the cost of the unit changing. You do get what you pay for and this is a feature that is on all of our larger interfaces. This is because this feature requires a DSP chip to do the Monitor mixes and volume adjustments. This is extra cost to the parts and production of the unit and thus a higher priced unit in the end.

As we do already offer units with this type of higher end monitoring system I think your solution will be in making that Monitoring System more accessible for iOS, as other customer have already suggested. We have had many requests to create an iOS version of Scarlett MixControl. As of now you can make the adjustments you describe, however you would have to make them on the PC/Mac, save them and then use them on the iPad in a fixed mode.

If you do have or are interested in having a larger Focusrite Interface, 6i6 or up, and wish to use MixControl to mix Monitor levels while tracking on an iPad I can add your name to the requests for this type of App to be created.

Best regards.
Add me to the list as well.
Currently using an Ikmedia Irig Pro, which is good for portability and a bit of play, but I am looking for something more substantial for Ipad, Win and MacOS.
Ipad is quickly evolving into a serious platform and I believe Ipad users are screaming out for serious solutions. Not just hardware, the software as well. eg. still looking for a realistic acoustic drum app that sounds like a human drummer not a TR808 clone cyberman.

The iTrack Dock is a great idea and looks good but my ipad is encapsuled in large military spec rubber case, so this does not suit me. Therefore the suggestion of the Focusrite Interface, 6i6 and its added functionality is very interesting. Does this model power/charge the Ipad?
Please pass onto to your development team, the Ipad platform needs a solution that works from every angle. The user expectation this will be cheap for the Ipad is probably a thing of the past.
Thanks. :)

peterjade

Post by peterjade » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:51 am

pity the alesis dock looks like NOW unavailable, since midi sync and audio were perfectly usefully preformated at ipad OS
hope they will replace it by Adat+ multi in /out matching AURIA already perfect matrix in/ out / midi
using(?) their hardware they planed but did not deliver for drumrack or mixrack for iPad Could feed the needs
instead of this Focusrite i studio stupid without NO dedicated midi in/out ( usb ok) , and STUPID cheap...No mixer in/out !
Better than the awful lie of Presonus vsl without any registered compatible USB HUB to lightning ( ipad 4/5), a poor USB sync that fucked using it on previous OS and iPad 2/3 (no processing enough for use as iPad air NOW COULD (not!) DO!)

NOW Which PERFECT INTERFACE ?
KORG KRONOS is USB auto sync with i Pad 2 in/4 out independants ( USB+ Headphone selected at AURIA out matrix , midi matrix is also sync)
Amazing KORG KRONOS perfect USB direct TO ipad Air (camera usb lightnting adapter ONLY) works PERFECT with iPad 4/5)
Kronos OUTPUT USB is direct (master) to Ipad/Auria IN, its MIDI+ Sync are included....open direct into Auria midi Matrix
THE SOUND can be recorded in AURIA...and its waves ..Touch .processed by Auria, while BOTH hardware STAY in
sync by USB (midi remote) ...so ANY of BOTH hardware can record/save/ play/process/free transfers: as being an
integrated SINGLE hardware...MAGIC!
while Auria wifi CAN link in theses conditions as many iPad /Auria All being sync as needed....A DREAM

ipad OUT AURIA matrix goes - to Kronos audio USB IN s2 sliders ( stereo /mono to be routed free including effects)
- to i Pad headphone out (auria matrix out FREE selection ) feeding kronos AUDIO in ( free idem USB)

ALL of this without The assle of drops at USB sync since Kronos can be USB synch BOTH way if needed ( not really!)
now add the kronos SDIF in where you can record LIVE any config ( my example using EDIROL MDX16 ( double out routing) making monitored channels ( 3 ipads) separate from still free 12 recording channels+ PC USB ( LIVE 9) mixed to SDIF Kronos
In ...then from master out to iPad....Auria soon or late: if sync recorded in any of /or both hardwares.
THE MAGIC is adding LATER the touch WAVE processing from Auria ,together with its midi virtual synth integration rec to Auria channel processing , ALL available BACK to Any of both hardware ( so many audio/ midi SYNC Recording tracks ....)

One AURIA REC trick ...OUTPUT SUB1 Out Matrix linked to NO OUTPUT...no Monitor
SUB 2 OUT Matrix linked to Headphone monitor out ( out is auto PRE SUB..FADER, but POST effect)
ALL (?) other SUBS and Master linked to...MASTER ...they will go OUT to USB IN kronos (rec?monitor? process?)
you can Monitor/rerecord/Process or NO from ANY, freely out TO KRONOS at will: just addressing it at each Ch Auria mixer

BETTER PRO? welcome to USB HUB to lightning port Apple registered ( none! ) that MAYBE can turn into NO LIE presonus 1818)...unless they DO work REAL on USB no HUB and USB SYNC ...NO DROP...NO LIE ?

BETTER WELCOME to ALESIS (?) since already USING OS FORMAT and being genuine ADAT inventors look like the best offer
to come ( ?) , while i/o Rack Was already PERFECTLY usable No Latency: just enough to play live ( better than from any PC OR synth hardware!)
AURIA can match it (at 126 samples) from iPad AIR : already an amazing couple / easy latency to PLAY MIDI live...and.CHARGING iPad...( any)

I tried ( boring) ALL ( iPads1/5!) and hardwares...PRO 2 tracks recording
resulting in 5* from Alesis i/o rack ( post any mixers for best mike/ line compatibility to...2tracks out rec /free monitor)
while 2 ipads( EACH iPad being AURIA wifi SYNC) + 4 tracks live rec one pass in Kronos (to 16 audio tracks!) + 16 Midi kronos seq....is REAL TIME rec good enough, while about 40 stereo tracks are available for mixing...+ 16 midi...)
Add frozen submixes and transfers saved to Kronos HD (2) ....good enough,while Headache little bit consuming....
but PRO engineers can DO EASY .using Any ipads wifi sync to play Virtual Sounds live or to process...NO LIMIT ...from the bargain it is at the BEST sounding EVER ( using Buss xpress VST auria plugin )

ONE BIG COMPLAINT ....
MOST MIDI SEQUENCER ( if any?) cannot record multiCh Midi/ on ONE pass/ one TRACK...to record COMBIS multiCH live
same NO RECORD can play live....
( ONLY ableton LIVE can do with obligation to create as many midi tracks as Ch IN / OUT needed...) BORING UNSAFE...

Merry....AURIA !

Shazamm
Expert

Post by Shazamm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:20 am

It looks cool if you have an iPad mini. I have an air and it just doesn't look right in the pics I've seen. The io dock not as good I agree but my iPad isn't exposed

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 am

rowboat wrote:
The iTrack Dock is a great idea and looks good but my ipad is encapsuled in large military spec rubber case, so this does not suit me. Therefore the suggestion of the Focusrite Interface, 6i6 and its added functionality is very interesting. Does this model power/charge the Ipad?
Please pass onto to your development team, the Ipad platform needs a solution that works from every angle. The user expectation this will be cheap for the Ipad is probably a thing of the past.
Thanks. :)
Only MFi interfaces can charge the iPad. That doesn't include ANY which need to be connected via USB. So, it doesn't include the 6i6.

I agree that a good solution is needed, which will be more costly that the cheaper interfaces. Only the Apogees are close, and I am wary of them, given some of the reports of problems on this forum relating to their reliability with Auria. They also have only one physical knob, and I prefer a bunch of physical controls, rather than switching back and forward between Maestro and Auria.

Dominic
Last edited by dominicperry on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.