Having big problems using duet2 for iPad

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mrmope

Having big problems using duet2 for iPad

Post by Mrmope » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Ok, so I purchased an iPad 3 about a year ago, to record my band in our studio, I first purchased a personus 1818vsl and a digimax d8 linked via Adat. It seems to work fairly well with Auria, but I seem to get an occasional pop or crackle on certain tracks, mostly on the last track. I first thought it could be a bad cable, so replaced it, but pop remained. So I thought it might be a clock issue between the 1818 and digimax, so purchased a word clock cable, still there. Anyway, I use that set up mainly to get the drums recorded and plan to overdub the parts, so that's not my main problem as there don't seem to be pops on any of the drum tracks, mainly on the last track. I am recording 11 tracks simultaneously at 44.1.

Now I purchased the duet 2 for iPad to do my overdubbing, thinking it should sound better than the personus rig, I expect it would if it worked. It just goes crazy, forever crashing Auria. And have to disconnect the duet and plug it back in, then it might work for a Moment, then it won't. If I plug in say drumagog on a track, it will go mental and stutter, so hav to keep pressing stop, play, stop play to get it to flow. Now this is a real pain, and struggle to even get the most basic task done.

I contacted rim, and he said it could be a bug with coreaudio. I try and read up on this, and can't find anything on it.
What really gets my back up is the fact everyone states iPad 3 is compatible with the duet and Auria, but for me, this is not the case. Has anyone had similar problems with this set up or any other set ups. Or does anyone have any fixes or tips to help me. I have spent a lot of time and money on this set up and the the band are losing inspiration rapidly. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks........

Phil999
Expert

Re: Having big problems using duet2 for iPad

Post by Phil999 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 pm

do you have the Maestro app open all the time, or or only occasionally? Or never?

Mrmope

Post by Mrmope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have the problem with maestro closed or running.
I have been given the work around where you up the recording buffer and switch off USB soft start, and although it helped a little, it's still not good. For example, i record the band, 11 tracks total, on the personus rig, and that runs quite smoothly, ok a few audio glitches, but nothing to bad. But the next step in my work flow is to overdub bass, vocals etc, and just keep the drums and guitars. Problem really comes when I plug in the duet 2, it goes crazy, stuttering and just not doing what it should. And how the hell can you overdub at 4090 buffer anyway? Also, we are a simple blues rock band, so no midi, or synths, just mics. Why can I record 11 tracks with no real problems, but can't overdub a single track with the duet? I contacted apogee, and they haven't had any complaints. Guess it's just my luck.

So my only option is to upgrade ipad, and how long before that developers bugs or becomes obsolete? Thinking maybe sell all this crap and just go back to a stand alone workstation, I sold my Yamaha aw2400 to pay for duet. Ok, the screen wasn't great, but no crashing, no glitches, great sound, real faders, just bugs me because auria is really nice to work with visually, and the plugins are amazing, but if I'm not getting anything done then what's the point. Yeah I could go and buy another ipad, but it's a big risk and I'm already stretched money wise. Really gutted.

Mrmope

Post by Mrmope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm

I would like to point out that I really love auria, and admire the work that has gone into its development.
I'm not a pro engineer, and should maybe have done better research before making decisions on hardware purchases.There are many people having great success with auria, and don't wish to put off anyone thinking of going down that road. Just make sure you do your homework and get the right hardware, not that I have managed to work that out yet. But I will say don't buy an ipad 3 to use with auria,I did, and now I have learned it has a bug in audiocore or something, and it will never be fixed by Apple. So get ipad 4, ipad air. It's not advertised anywhere on auria, USB interface brands, or Apple. Just thought people should know that, and not fall into the same pit as me.

Hopefully I will manage to pick myself up when my finances improve, and get up and running with auria again.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 am

iPad 3 is known as the black sheep of iPads, as there are various undocumented issues with it. With USB soft start disabled and a 4096 buffer, it's possible to work around these issues (but not in every case unfortunately). iPad 2 is also affected, but not quite as often in our experience. iPad 4 and Air (and iPad 1) have never had this problem, so I can only assume it's hardware related.

Rim