Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pasternak

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Post by pasternak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi!

First post here.

I gather from this forum that the Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 will make the Saffire Pro 40 available to Auria via some sort of special connection (I am currently only familiar with firewire/laptop connection).

If this correct, will the smaller and less expensive Scarlet boxes make Saffire 40 work as well? Is this a smart and fairly trouble free solution to making the Saffire available to Auria ? And what else do I need in the way of hardware to make this work?

Thank you for helping to decide if Auria will work well for me!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Saffire won't work with iPads unfortunately. Only the Scarlett series is iPad compatible.

Rim

pasternak

Post by pasternak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Rim wrote:Saffire won't work with iPads unfortunately. Only the Scarlett series is iPad compatible.

Rim
Thank you for responding, RIm. Good thing I asked. I almost bought the Scarlett thinking I could make the Saffire work with it via standalone/ADAT (I have no idea what this means yet). Perhaps I can get another doctor's opinion here just to be certain that I can't use the saffire with Auria the way I described it at the top of thread.

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 pm

The original poster is actually correct.

You can set up a Saffire Pro 40 in Standalone Mode to operate as a ADAT Device.

Then you can connect it to the Optical Input port on your 18i20 or other USB Interface from any brand with an ADAT Optical port.

In this case as the Firewire port is not used, but the ADAT inputs of the 18i20, it will work with iPad.

See this Standalone Guide: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/how- ... alone-mode

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood the original question. Thanks, Katherine!

Rim

pasternak

Post by pasternak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Wonderful!

Sorry, I'm still a little fuzzy about part of the answer though.

The Saffire Pro 40 in stand-alone mode is light pipe connected to the Scarlett. And the Scarlett is linked to the Auria/Ipad via some sort of hub.

What exactly is that Scarlett to Ipad connection? Is just a USB to lightening cable? And will the smaller and less expensive scarlett units work just as well at making my saffire pro 40 available to the Auria/ipad?

Many thanks!

pasternak

Post by pasternak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I got it. The scarlett/ipad connection requires a the apple camera connection kit.

Thanks!