Alesis iO Dock and popping/crackling

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

hsaunier

Alesis iO Dock and popping/crackling

Post by hsaunier » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

Made a recording of a live jazz band performance, during intermission paused the recording and the ipad2 went to sleep and when I woke it up and started to record again started to get popping/crackle in the recording. Looked at other threads but not able to determine where i need to make any adjustments. First act of the performance was artifact free.

martygras
Expert

Re: Alesis iO Dock and popping/crackling

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am

This has happened to me on rare occasion. I now do test recordings to check for the crackles before the actual recording session starts. I have no idea what causes it and cannot replicate it although it hasn't happened to me in Auria yet. It used to happen when using Multitrack DAW.
I thought it was due to me experimenting with different sample rates, but it doesn't do it much anymore.

I should add that the usual culprit is another app taking charge of the bit depth or sample rate. So clearing all the apps out of memory "should" take care of this.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm

This is a bug in the CoreAudio system that affects iPad 2 and 3 models. There's no permanent solution, but a workaround is to set Auria's record latency to 4096 and disable USB soft start.

Rim

hsaunier

Post by hsaunier » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Will do, thanks!

Electronicaz

Post by Electronicaz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi there.... I have this "crackling" issue usually after waking my MAC PRO from sleep and then recording through my IO2.... any suggestions??? I usually don't remember to check 1st, but once I notice the problem, removing and then re-connecting the USB cable into it solves the problem.... But of course it would be nice if there was a way of preventing this at all! Thanks.