Audio interfaces That Work With IOS 7 & Lightning Connectors

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Neilfatmonkey

Audio interfaces That Work With IOS 7 & Lightning Connectors

Post by Neilfatmonkey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:20 am

Hi all,

I've just started using Auria and am amazed at how good it is! I'd like to start recording with an audio interface and have been trawling the threads to find out what is working with iOS 7 and lightning connectors/CCK, and am struggling to find definitive answers.

Would it be possible for those of you who use iPad 4 on iOS 7 with an audio interface to list below what you use so that I can make an informed decision on which to buy? I really need 2 line inputs and at least one XLR input.

Thank you so much for your time.

Neil

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Audio interfaces That Work With IOS 7 & Lightning Connec

Post by Rim » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:27 am

Neil,

Welcome. Any interface that works well with a 30-pin connector will work exactly the same way with a 30-pin to lightning adapter. There's no difference in performance or compatibility. The same goes for the CCK. Maybe others can chime in with their recommendations for a good interface.

Rim

Neilfatmonkey

Post by Neilfatmonkey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:48 am

Thank you, Rim, for the very swift reply. Much appreciated. I wasn't sure whether the adaptor would work with all of them so that's handy to know. I hope that someone will be able to give me a recommendation from their own experience too.

Neil

Neilfatmonkey

Post by Neilfatmonkey » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 am

Just for completeness I took the plunge and can confirm that the ART USB Dual Pre works with iPad 4 on iOS 7 with the camera connection kit USB to lightning connector.

I haven't actually recorded to Auria yet, only GarageBand, but since it's working with that I'm confident it'll work just fine with Auria.

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:51 am

Rim wrote:Neil,

Welcome. Any interface that works well with a 30-pin connector will work exactly the same way with a 30-pin to lightning adapter. There's no difference in performance or compatibility. The same goes for the CCK. Maybe others can chime in with their recommendations for a good interface.

Rim
I have an Alesis io dock which won't work with the 30-pin lightning adapter, but works fine on older iPads with the 30 pin connection ????

The Symphony Project

Post by The Symphony Project » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 am

The Akai eie works a dream it is literally plug and play. I'm only just up and running and I love this program to bits.

Akai eie
ipad mini
Lightning connection kit

The Symphony Project

Post by The Symphony Project » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 am

I must point out that the smaller ram on ipad mini does have some limitations but I'm not going to be using it for final recording, I use it to mail band members the rough tracks so they can come to rehearsal with their ideas and the track in mind.

Alex

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 am

I have been using the EIE since before auria came out with excellent results.
Until ios7, that is....
The problem I have run into is when my iPad screen locks. Now in Beatmaker 2 it behaves like clockwork- pressing the home button and swiping makes the audio get fragmented and start to echo, becoming useless until I unplug the cck and plug it back in.
With auria, the first few times this happens it works fine (no surprise, auria is very robust) but even auria will exhibit the exact same behavior after a while.
I am kicking myself for updating to ios7 and ruining a great setup I had. I just don't trust iOS for audio anymore.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

The Symphony Project

Post by The Symphony Project » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:52 am

Can you not turn the lock screen off, this worked for me. I must admit updating did cause a few initial setup problems but I appear to have sorted them.

Alex

Photo_G
Expert

Post by Photo_G » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 am

@Alex: Can you share some of your IOS 7 tweaks?

Thanks in advance,
G

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:56 am

Alex,
Yup I can... Problem is I've got the notoriously hot-running ipad3 lol...
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

The Symphony Project

Post by The Symphony Project » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:15 pm

The main issue I came across was sorted by turning the lock screen off, the other issue I got was it messed all my input matrix up on every project so had to re-assign all the tracks to their original input on the interface. I'm using it on the ipad mini if that makes a difference, I am planning on upgrading to the presonus 8v18 soon. Currently running akai eie, with 4 way headphone amp for live monitoring. I was ver hesitant I updated and hearing this issue I'm treading with caution now. Is it not something auria tech can not bug fix?

Alex

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah I just had this happen to me. I just got the EIE and a new iPad Air. Ten minutes into testing the interface with Auria, my input became bit reduced and garbled. I hope this doesn't happen while friends are over at the studio recording.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 am

It's a damned shame... Worked flawlessly in ios6..
What changed? I've still got the ipad3 so if it's happening on the new iPad too does that mean it's not a memory/CPU power issue?
IAA is still not even possible for me- as soon as I open up sunrizer or nave the "garble" starts immediately! On Beatmaker 2 that is...
Nice work Apple...
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi All,

I have a question on this topic...

I am using the Alesis iOS Dock and recently upgraded from an iPad 2 to a 4. Everything seems to be working well with one exception. I can no longer get a signal from Auria through Alesis' headphone output. I can get it from the iPad itself, but it does not pass through to the Alesis. What's odd is, Auria's the only app I'm experiencing this with. My other apps pass through just fine. Am I missing something? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!