Mapping the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 for iPad.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

G-master G
Expert

Mapping the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 for iPad.

Post by G-master G » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello everybody,
Upon further investigation as to why I was experiencing some difficulties getting my 18i6 to behave itself I discovered that I have to map it to the iPad.
The Focusrite homepage provides the following instruction for how this can be achieved but for a complete novice like me they assume a lot. I have listed my queries below each step of the instructions; if someone has done this or knows the answers to my questions I would appreciate some guidance.
To use the Scarlett 8i6/18i6 with an iPad follow these instructions:
1. Download the Scarlett Mix Control iPad mappings found on this page
QUERY: The mappings are contained in a .zip file. To where do I download them? My iPad? My PC?

What do I do with the .zip file once it is downloaded? To where do I extract it?
2. From Scarlett Mix Control select File->Open
3. Load the required mapping
QUERY: what is/are the name(s) of the file(s) that am I looking for here?
4. With the 8i6/18i6 connected, select File->Save to Hardware
5. You may now connect the 8i6/18i6 to an iPad via the camera connection kit
QUERY: is this implying that I should have the 18i6 connected to my PC whilst following all of these instructions?

Cheers
Grant

martygras
Expert

Re: Mapping the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 for iPad.

Post by martygras » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey G, I'm glad you posted this. It sounds similar to the Tascam US-800 setup for iPad.
I just hope it retains its settings after being unplugged.

I hope you get this sorted out.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 am

G'day,

I have sorted it out - it wasn't that difficult but just requiried that I assume that I do everything on my PC and then attach the 18i6 to the iPad.

It seems to have retained its settings so that is one thing that is positive. Although I find that the second I try to connect Amplitube with Auria via Audiobus, everything goes haywire again.

I didn't realise that trying to make music with an iPad would be so complicated; I have spent 30 years just plugging in and playing and I am beginning to wonder if I should not just be satisfied with doing that.

Cheers

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

With the latest update of scarlett mixcontrol 1.6 the "save to hardware" function doesn't work anymore!!!
You can make your setups and everything works fine but the ipad mappings get lost as soon as you unplug the power
from the scarlett-device.I contacted the german support,I hope it'll be fixed soon...