iPad mini interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Taistybone

iPad mini interface

Post by Taistybone » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi all.

My first post ...hello :)

Been plotting on getting an ipad for two years for the sole purpose of recording. Finally got ipad mini 16 wifi . Non nonsense , fantastic

Knew Auria would be amazing , it is...

Sold defunct audio gear ..

Got budget of £150

My question to you good people is this

What interface should I get with the following criteria ...

Under £150
2-4 inputs
Phantom power
Don't care about midi
Don't care about outputs
Don't care about sound quality to a degree , this is a sketchbook for songwriting /ideas, I have a proper studio for recording with a nice room

Things that worry me ;

The lightening connector , what converters I will need etc

Really hope someone can advise a good solution for my needs with a good interface for auria , ipad mini.

Much appreciate you reading !

Carl

pitzipado
Expert

Re: iPad mini interface

Post by pitzipado » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Hello I have an ipad2 16gb wifi which I understand is identical to the mini in terms of
processing power etc. I bought an AkaiEIE (not the pro- the red one) which is still available
for $179 US (or even a little cheaper some places) based on several other forum users' experience
and I found it to work perfectly for my modest needs. Four XLR/1/4 phone inputs phantom power
44.1kHz 16bit. Very solid well built ruggedly portable- also contrary to what it says in the official
works/ doesn't work chart it works without a powered hub. I'm very happy with it. It requires a
Camera connection kit ( I bought the official apple version I think it was $28 US) I don't know about
the lightning connector aspect of the mini but I'm assuming there are adapters available for about
the same price. Perhaps others could chime in with hands on knowledge of that. So anyway that's
my Quest for Great Inexpensive Interface story. Best of luck
jp

Taistybone

Post by Taistybone » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 am

Thank you for the reply :)

Wow it looks perfect , pretty cool too.my girlfriend will be happy because it matches our living room accessories so I full intend leaving it lying around so it don't have to set it up all the time

The only thing I can see being a problem is the USB power issue that I have read about.does it come with its own power supply ? Do you think I will need a powered USB hub ? Obvs I will need a lightening camera connection kit .

If anybody can confirm that this will be ok with auria , ipad mini and lightening connection kit then I'm ordering that bad boy tonight , great price too , could half decently record a drum kit with 4 inputs too

telefish

Post by telefish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi

I usa a roland duo capture ex with an adaptor. It can also run on 3 AA batteries.
This interface works fine and has everything you need. Phantom power, Hi-z switch, input monitoring.

check it our on roland's website

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product_20 ... capture_ex

Kind regards

Telefish

Lazylarynx

Post by Lazylarynx » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:56 am

The iTrack solo is a great interface for the ipad mini. Actually made to work with the ipad and IOS. If you need more than one xlr input then the Focusrite 2i2 would be perfect and both have phantom power.