How often do you need Mix Control?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dwayne
Expert

How often do you need Mix Control?

Post by Dwayne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 am

A question for people with the presonus 1818 or the focusrite 18i20 interfaces. How often do you use the mix control? Are you forever unplugging and plugging into computer to set levels etc or is it something you really have to only do once?

If I'm recording say a drum kit using 8 preamps, then use the same mics for acoustic guitars, do you need to plug back in to a computer to set levels etc? Or are the preamps sufficient?

After a fair bit of research, I think the Apogee products are the only ones so far that everything can be adjusted from the iPad, therefore never need a computer. Is that correct?

ajmack302
Expert

Re: How often do you need Mix Control?

Post by ajmack302 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:36 am

Dwayne wrote:A question for people with the presonus 1818 or the focusrite 18i20 interfaces. How often do you use the mix control? Are you forever unplugging and plugging into computer to set levels etc or is it something you really have to only do once?

If I'm recording say a drum kit using 8 preamps, then use the same mics for acoustic guitars, do you need to plug back in to a computer to set levels etc? Or are the preamps sufficient?
Hi Dwayne, I use the 1818 and in my case I've not once connected to a computer to set levels. I use it to record drums and use a different mic to record guitar amps, plug directly in for bass and so far just adjusting the preamps has been working fine.

Aaron

brooks501
Expert

Re: How often do you need Mix Control?

Post by brooks501 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 am

I'm using Auria with the Focusrite 18i20 and I've not used mix control yet, i do every thing through Auria, i can also set up basic headphone mixes using the sub groups or aux sends..