Charging iPad while connected to interface

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Charging iPad while connected to interface

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 am

Anyone got anything this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Port-USB-Hu ... 0840826919

Looking for a way to charge my iPad while connected to my Scarlett 18i20.

brooks501
Expert

Re: Charging iPad while connected to interface

Post by brooks501 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 am

Hi

I have the 18i20 and iPad 2 and the one below which charges the iPad, works a treat, you can also plug in midi keyboard if you are using ios apps that have midi.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Speed-US ... 460bc0e8d2

I've also tried it on my iPad mini with a lighting to 30pin connector but that does not work.

Hope that helps.

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Awesome. Thanks.
Do you plug the 18i20 into one of the USB ports, or into the apple connector via the camera connection kit?

Edit: ignore this ^ there is nowhere to plug the camera connection kit into - duh

Should have said, I have an ipad3 but the description on eBay says it 'should' be fine :?

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:14 pm

None of the descriptions of these items claim SIMULTANEOUS charging and USB device use. My understanding is that is impossible, because the iOS software turns off the charging circuit in the iPad while using a USB device. The two modes are mutually exclusive. And there is nothing that can be done externally to overcome this.

Gary

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:53 am

brooks501 wrote:Hi

I have the 18i20 and iPad 2 and the one below which charges the iPad, works a treat, you can also plug in midi keyboard if you are using ios apps that have midi.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Speed-US ... 460bc0e8d2

I've also tried it on my iPad mini with a lighting to 30pin connector but that does not work.

Hope that helps.
It may charge the iPad2 (and iPad1 ?) but NOT the iPad3. I've no idea about the iPad4 or iPad Mini.

I recall reading that some of these devices can help in the case where a USB device, attached via the regular CCK, fails to be recognised because it's drawing too much power from the iPad. Normally a powered USB hub would be required in that circumstance. However, it seems that some (not all) of these 30-pin-connected hubs somehow fool the iPad into believing all is well - even without the hub being powered.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:24 am

garyshell wrote:None of the descriptions of these items claim SIMULTANEOUS charging and USB device use. My understanding is that is impossible, because the iOS software turns off the charging circuit in the iPad while using a USB device. The two modes are mutually exclusive. And there is nothing that can be done externally to overcome this.

Gary
All Apogee interfaces can charge the ipad while in use:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php

So at lease one company has found a way to make it work.

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:15 am

mtingle wrote:All Apogee interfaces can charge the ipad while in use:

I see it says it can charge the iPad. I don't see where it says it can do so while the interface is in use. There has been a lot of discussion about this elsewhere and even Apple has come out to say it can't be done.

Gary

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm

garyshell wrote:
mtingle wrote:All Apogee interfaces can charge the ipad while in use:

I see it says it can charge the iPad. I don't see where it says it can do so while the interface is in use. There has been a lot of discussion about this elsewhere and even Apple has come out to say it can't be done.

Gary
"DC power charges iPad
In audio, adequate power is essential for excellent sound quality. With a direct digital connection and an external power source, ONE, Duet and Quartet are able to charge your iPad while you record so your work will not be interrupted."

From the Quattro page on their website. Doesn't seem like there's much room for ambiguity in that statement.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 pm

It can be done in Apogee's case because they use an MFi interface. MFi meant it's designed specifically for an iOS device, and needs to be approved by Apple. MFi interfaces can do things like charge while you're using it.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 am

This looks interesting:

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... e=overview

I know it's not charging the battery as such, but extending the battery could be enough.
The blurb appears to state that the USB (albeit through a smaller connector) is fully functional - it'll synch with iTunes.
I've contacted their tech support to find out if there are any limitations on the USB.
I'll let you know if the get back to me.

jazzy1

Post by jazzy1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm

this seems to be a major drawback for ipad recording...we NEED to be able to charge while using our USB audio interfaces...I'm hoping something materializes...fingers crossed

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 pm

The new Apogee interfaces (One, Duet, Quartet) all charge the iPad while you're using them.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm

But none of those are USB. This is a mojo flaw in the iPad hardware. One that apparently can't be fixed.

Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Sure, they're all USB. Not only are they USB, but they also come with a direct iPad cable, so you don't even need a camera connection kit. They're designed from the ground up for iPad. Apogee even created an iPad app to control all three interfaces.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Got an adapter on order.
Only costing me about £10, so thought I'd give it a shot.
Will let you know how I get on once it arrives.
Coming from China so may take a while.