Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 -- ADAT

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

peteT
Expert

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 -- ADAT

Post by peteT » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 am

Hi

Firstly, I would just like to ask if anyone has experience with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 running at 96k in Auria. Does the ADAT Input operate upto 96k [MAX 4 channels - i.e half the norm] ? I saw one review of the unit on Harmony Central by Anderton [http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2113] which suggested that the ADAT Input only operated up to 48k. The user guide says it drops to 4 channels @ 96k which is much as I would expect - Otherwise a great and detailed review of the unit. Just asking to confirm.

Secondly, what track count are people getting for Simultaneous Record on iPad 2 @ 96k - More than 12 tracks or less? Interested to know.

I have to say I am most impressed with the intellegent approach the Auria App Builders have taken to the design, and the general openess to input from users. Glad also to see the introduction of multiple outputs....... Now whose working on the surround panner design and mixdown to six track multiple wav?? As a straight record unit for natural instruments there are so many possibilities for this software.

Please keep up the great work..........

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 -- ADAT

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 am

I suggest you check with Focusrite about the ADAT speed. If it supports S/MUX 2, then you can run 4 channels at 96KHz. If not, you can't.

A recent post from Rim (the forum Moderator and one of the devs) talks about recording 8 tracks simultaneously at 96KHz.

I question the necessity of running at 96KHz at all, but that is a different matter.

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 am

I've just checked the 18i6 manual and the sample rate setting is a global setting, controlled in software. This may mean that you do not have control of it from the iPad.

Quote from the manual
"Note that for sample rates of 88.1kHz and 96kHz, the ADAT channel count drops from eight to four channels."

Even if you set it at 96KHz from your Mac/PC, it may revert to a lower rate when you attach it to your iPad. Someone here may be able to try it for you, but I suspect you will get a faster answer from Focusrite.

Are you doing video? If not, and you are making final mixdowns for CD or mp3, then 88.2KHz would be better than 96KHz - much cleaner (and faster) sample rate conversion. I'd be surprised if the Focusrite conversion sounds any better at 88.2/96 than at 44.1/48, but I suppose it might. It will certainly chew up CPU and disk space.

Dominic

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Dominic for your reply and checking out the manual.

I had also seen the reference to SMUX i.e. dropping to 4 from 8 @ 96k which makes sense.
The unit has only got a ADAT IN. I will check out wih Focusrite as you suggest. Thanks also
for the info from Rim on previous post re: 8 tracks @ 96k. This would seem about right.
Whether quality shows up at 96k will I am sure depend on the quality of the A-D and D-A
chips. I have other units to compare by. I can certainly hear the detail in 96k recordings on
the right material and am interested to check the app out. The guys have done great work
on the development and I sincerely hope the product grows as a fine quality app, which I
am very sure it will. Thanks again for your input.

Pete