Click & Pops using Audiobus w/ Auria Pro

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Crowleytunes

Click & Pops using Audiobus w/ Auria Pro

Post by Crowleytunes » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:19 am

Hi all,

Been struggling for a week now to solve this. I am constantly getting clicks and pops in regular intervals on every track I record. I have a new iPad Pro 12’ 2nd Gen, and i’m recording various Apps via Audiobus 3 into Auria Pro. I have set the session to 44.1 to match Audiobus, but regardless of how little CPU is being used these click keep appearing.

I can only hear them on playback, and never during recording. And they appear visually on each and every track, so I know they are embedded into the track. Mixdown into AudioShare confirmed this. They are not in sync with the sessions bpm, so I’m at abit if a loss. If I remain in Auria I can occasionally avoid the bug, however once I navigate over to another app via Audiobus, the clicks begin again. Always at regular intervals about 1sec apart.

I’ve had the issue since purchase, and it’s killing my new toy vibes.

Any ideas? Cheers!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Click & Pops using Audiobus w/ Auria Pro

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 am

Sounds like a memory under run. To test this, start a new project and load only one app and test the recording. If you still experience the same problem, then its not the memory. However if it doesnt produce the problem then its the memory. The iPad is a limited device and there is no way to determine what your memory usage is regardless of what you see in the cpu usage bar. So by having a daw running as well as audiobus and more apps running in the background you are likely way over the iPads limitations. Maximum usage without crashes or audio glitches in any iOS daw is no more than 16 tracks and 16 plugins. No more. And nothing running in the background so only built in plugins or AuV3. No IAA either as thats just an app running in the background. Cheers and good luck.

Quick tip. Reboot your iPad and reboot your audio interface. Cheers

Crowleytunes

Post by Crowleytunes » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I had tried that. New session, 1 single IAA, no Audio bus. Reset IPad. Re-install the App, check for updates.
Issue still remains. Also this is a brand new 3rd gen iPad Pro. It’s as capeable as any iPad can be. And I didn’t have this issue on my much older iPad mini.

The clicks only appear however after something has been played. If I open a blank session and hit record on a track with an attached IAA, everything is fine. Until I touch the IAA. As soon as it is interacted with, regardless of which IAA I choose, the clicks return. Though I can’t hear them until I listen to the playback. If I however then disable any IAA whilst still recording, and then interact with Auria in any random way, by say hitting a mute on another track for example, the clicks usually disappear again.

It also doesn’t matter if I run direct to the iPad speakers and don’t use an interface at all. Not even a headphone dongle. The clicks still persist, and it makes Auria completely unusable.

Thanks again!

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:58 pm

I’m having the exact same problem, with a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9”. I only have one track of audio. Trying to record a second track with IAA Neo Soul Keys, Collosus Piano, etc results in the same pulsing pops/clicks, about a second apart. I’m nowhere near clipping. I used to push my old old old iPad 4 way harder than this without this issue. I’m not even using Audiobus... just IAA.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:10 pm

actualproof wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:58 pm
I’m having the exact same problem, with a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9”. I only have one track of audio. Trying to record a second track with IAA Neo Soul Keys, Collosus Piano, etc results in the same pulsing pops/clicks, about a second apart. I’m nowhere near clipping. I used to push my old old old iPad 4 way harder than this without this issue. I’m not even using Audiobus... just IAA.
What sample rate is your project?

What buffer size are you using?

Do you have the problem if you use them as AU rather than IAA?

gman598

Post by gman598 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:48 am

I have same issue… iPad 7 pro 128 storage, 48k 16 channels. iPad is used solely for recording nothing else. I transferred the waves files to studio 1.